Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

remote starter failures

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Default remote starter failures

I have a 2007 mazda 3 with mazda remote starter installed by mazda and thus should be considered as factory! Now that it has become cold the starter has failed twice (-23C).
The lights come on as if the car has started but it has not- then the key willnot work either.
Thankfully a few minutes later I was able to restart with the key. The motor does not crank during this failure, just seems dead
Anyone else having these problems- I know the garage will test in a nice warm bay and it will work ok during their test

Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Default RE: remote strater failures

i have the same problem, sort of. thing is, i don't even have a remote start. my 07 I Touring does not start up right away when its cold. the lights come on but it does not crank. also, sometimes the car feels like its about to die out while i'm coming to a stop. my car is an automatic.anyone else have this problem? i have not taken it to the dealer to find out why its happening because it rarely happens, so they wouldn't really see what i'm talking about.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:56 AM

The remote starter would have been a dealer add-on. If it isn't working properly, I'd get the car back to the dealer to fix it.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 AM

HOLY CRAP- -23 NEVER SEE THAT HERE IN FLA . ( THANK THE SUN GODS FOR THAT ).

Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 PM

Wardog--I'm not sure why we live out here sometimes myself, but we do!
I've never had the stalls like vlam 129- Just the remote start issues. I'm not sure what will happen when it starts to get cold here in northern Alberta. Will have to get the system checked with my next oilchange when in the city again. Sorry but I have doubts of dealership readily replacing the remote or having the foggiest notion why it dies!
Thanks for the thoughts people.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 AM

Most likely the dealer jobs the work out to a local electronics dealer that knows what they are doing. (stereo shop, etc.)

Did you buy this car new from the dealer with the remote start installed? Did they provide any kind of warranty with it? Your statement of "mazda remote starter installed by mazda and thus should be considered as factory!" led me to believe you would consider the dealer as a source of repair work for this concern. If it is indeed a Mazda accessory installed by a dealer, then I believe there should be a warranty on it. (Not positive though.)

I know on the remote starter on my Taurus, that there is a switch on the brake pedal that if you push it after the car has started, it kills the engine, and you can't restart the car until you have locked/unlocked the doors and cycle the key off then on again. (Anti-theft device, first thing a person trying to steal your car will do is push on the brake and try to throw it into gear. As soon as they do, it dies.)

You could have a similar switch that is acting up....I hate electrical issues.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM

This week I took car to dealership for a look. Yes on warrenty. They had thoughta relay was frosting up as they had dealt with the problem before. They could not make it happen the shop, so did nothing. Will wait again for a cold spell and hope for the best. May have to take two vehicles to city and leave mazda behind for the night and see how they do in the am.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:48 AM

ahhh the canadian winters.. gotta love them.. i dont have the remote start but thats because i got the GS. but there are times when my car reaaaaallly doesnt wanna start in -20C weather. but it starts up. also i noticed there is no block heater to plug into. or is there one? does anyone know about this. however you being in alberta... i feel bad cuz its wayyyy colder up there then it is in southern ontario.