Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

any help would be awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Exclamation any help would be awesome!

so heres the situation. recently purchased an 06 mazda6 and have had a few troubles. the AT light and swerve light would come on and the rpm and mph gauges would jump up and down and i would lose gear display on the dash, car would drive and run fine. would get it home and it would not start back up until it would have cooled off for a bit and then drive fine again. one day it id this and went into a limp mode. wouldnt go over 20 mph. had it scanned got several codes relating to tp/ac stuck open #6cyl misfire things of that nature. replaced the throttle body and number 6 cylinder coil. (also thought it was the coil because i had an older jeep that would do something similar when the coil over heated.) running good for about a week. again today being that it was hot out it happened again on a very short drive. about 20 mins. any thoughts on what this could be mazda forum? i would appreciate any help. gonna get it scanned again later today of course. just hoping someone else could help shed some light on this. any other info i can share let me know. i have the old codes if that helps.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

You are not gonna like this:
since you don't know your tranny cleaning/changing fluid history, i would say you may need a new tranny. You did not state your mileage. The 6 speed Aisin Warner tranny is not great, mine went under 25,000 miles (replaced under warranty, now have external cooler). You need to install an external tranny cooler. READ: Transmission Fluid Flush Tips | Trucks Plus
you should consider getting this in TransGo AW-TF-81SC,*AWF21: SK AWF21
Put a ground on your tranny, and another body ground and a engine ground. Check my pics, last 4 of: Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums - UseYourNoggin's Album: 2006 Mazda 6 Wagon ATX 3.0

As far as misfires are concerned i would change all the ign coils and all the plugs (NGK iridium # TR5IX, # 7397, .6mm tip spark plug) as well as the exhaust sytem. The exhaust system on this vehicle is the worst in history. I see you have a V6 (#6 cly misfire) READ: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-design-28940/ Chances are you may need all 3 new catalytic converters.
READ: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...3-0-ltr-30510/ .

Change your PCV valve, Mazda never did, pics: Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums - UseYourNoggin's Album: Intake Plenum & PCV Valve. 2006 Mazda 6 V6 3.0 ltr.

Before changing catalytics, you should try this Video:

https://youtu.be/5icTmYItwiE

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-12-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:01 PM

are you sure its the tranny? not to question your knowledge its just that it shifts fine in auto and slap stick. its never given any problems at all that would make me think its the tranny. =(

Old 06-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChristopherMisery
are you sure its the tranny? not to question your knowledge its just that it shifts fine in auto and slap stick. its never given any problems at all that would make me think its the tranny. =(
No, i'm not sure it's the tranny, nobody is sure as you do not know the history. The fluid should have been changed every 30,000 miles or less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The AT light is sometimes associated with throttle body, as you have changed it and hopefully no tranny light, otherwise----tranny.
I would check fluid for color, smell and level. and maybe change some fluid. You will definitely need an external tranny cooler irregardless.
You should definitely change the PCV valve and if relatively hi mileage: change all coils and spark plugs; get the coolant flushed and filled with a new thermostat.
Misfires can screw up catalytics. The 1 main rear cat has no sensors, so who knows the state-----I would do the lacquer thinner trick. Also put some fuel system/injector cleaner in. Do the grounds.
Your exhaust is F'd, and really comes in to play on heavy acceleration.
READ: AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Catalytic Converter Problems

MILEAGE ?

My nephews name is Christopher and he has given us a lot of Misery!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-12-2015 at 04:02 PM.