Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2006 Mazda 6 3.0 DOHC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Unhappy 2006 Mazda 6 3.0 DOHC Issues

Please Help!

I have a 2006 Mazda 6 S with a 3.0 DOHC.
The car has 90,950 miles on it. Automatic transmission with the option to manually shift gears up and down.

Recently, I had posted in here about possible issues with the MAF sensor. I replaced the sensor, the air filter, and did **** poor job wrapping the cracked hose between the throttle body and the air filter housing.

Since then, I had an issue with the passenger window control not working from the driver side. I then had my vehicle battery go bad. After getting a jump start, my passenger window issue was fixed. I then replaced the battery, and now the window doesnt work again, and the car is not wanting to shift from 1st to 2nd from a stopped position, but the issue isnt constant. It seems to get worse as the motor gets warmer/hotter.

Engine isnt overheating, transmission seems to shift fine when it does shift

Took the car to Autozone today, and it threw out 11 codes! Mostly all pertaining to the oxygen sensors.

I dont know what to do...I dont have much money to spend. I like my car, and I am willing to fix everything, but I just want to fix the shifting issue first, as long as I dont have to replace the transmission

Old 05-14-2014, 10:40 PM

The electrical issues may be related to bad ground connections. At the minimum clean the battery connections, follow the ground from battery negative to the body, disconnect it there and clean the contact area. Do the same thing on the positive side. If you keep the negative disconnected you will be safe doing this.
One of the positive cables goes to the starter and another to the alternator. Clean the contact surfaces, add some dielectric grease and reconnect.
Buy some MAF sensor cleaner, throttle body cleaner and some quality duct tape. Use the quality duct tape to redo your **** poor sealing job.
Clean the MAF sensor, clean the throttle body with the respective cleaners.

I didn't say anything about replacing the PCV valve. I am confident UseYourNoggin will give you lecture on that.

When you have it all together and every vacuum hose reconnected you should have a better running engine. The CEL should be off too because you disconnected the battery. If the light comes on again let us know the actual codes.

Last edited by tanprotege; 05-14-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 PM

Yea I replaced the MAF already. Ill redo the hose and try cleaning the throttle-body. As for the battery, well I just installed a brand new one, but I'll look into cleaning or even just replacing the connectors both - and +

Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=Michael Hayden;146283]Yea I replaced the MAF already. Ill redo the hose and try cleaning the throttle-body. As for the battery, well I just installed a brand new one, but I'll look into cleaning or even just replacing the connectors both - and +

Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Banned

The Mazda 6 automatic transmission sucks, period. Mine went @ 20,000 miles. Rebuilt one put in. I installed an external tranny cooler (a must!). I also had synthetic fluid put in to help reduce temps as well. No more problems. Your transmission fluid should have changed at least twice by now!

That transmission does have shifting issues. There is a kit to help with that but it takes time to install.
here is the kit: TransGo AW-TF-81SC,*AWF21: SK AWF21

I also had bad misfires which was due to stock exhaust design.
READ: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-design-28940/

The stock ground should be cleaned and add a few more from the negative terminal of the battery to: engine block, body, transmission, throttle body.

I drive the same car you do! My car runs great now with more power!

To see more pics of my car: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mem...n-atx-3-0-659/

Put some lacquer thinner in your fuel tank to help clean the O2 sensors. 2 liters in a half a tank of gas, drive it for at least 1 hour. Lacquer thinner, not paint thinner!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 05-15-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Hayden
Yea I replaced the MAF already. Ill redo the hose and try cleaning the throttle-body. As for the battery, well I just installed a brand new one, but I'll look into cleaning or even just replacing the connectors both - and +
My approach is to clean and reuse just about everything. I only replace a part when it is certifiably kaput. That approach saves me a lot of $$.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Thanks everybody for the input. I fixed the problem. It was just a simple crack (multiple cracks actually) in the intake hose. I taped the hell out of it, and all power was restored! Feels like a brand new car!

Old 05-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Hayden
Thanks everybody for the input. I fixed the problem. It was just a simple crack (multiple cracks actually) in the intake hose. I taped the hell out of it, and all power was restored! Feels like a brand new car!
Hard to believe it caused all that sensations!
Amazing how a engine problem can feel like a tranny issue.
You did the right thing. Start small things and work up! Clean stuff, general maintenance first before big stuff!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:36 AM

I had stopped by the Mazda Dealer to request a new key, and to find out where my Throttle Control Sensor was located. Service manager told me to replace the intake hose first. Well the part is 135$, so I just taped the hell out of it. While attempting to remove the intake hose from the air filter housing, I saw that was basicslly completely severed in half. I nailed that area hard with hose tape. Test drive the car afterward, and it now has more power then it ever did since I've owened it!