Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear and wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Default RE: Tyre wear and wind noise

They could have been photo's of my tyres!

I have noticed that the middle of the tyres are taking all the wear with them inflated to 38psi. In the US the recommended pressure is 34 all round. I am going to drop to 35psi and see how things pan out.
I hope that your dealer has not made you pay up for the tyres. Mazda Motors UK forked out for most of the cost of replacing all 4 tyres on our car. They have also forked out for another 5 at the same dealership....

What was the mileage on the tyres?

My dealer has been in close contact with Mazda over this issue. If your dealer trys to fob you off with bad driving style etc.... persue it with them. It is a known fault and the warranty will cover it. Despite the fact it involves tyres!

Good luck keep us posted

Old 10-25-2006, 02:35 PM

My brother-in-law first noticed the under inflation issue at about 9k - drove from Aberdeen to Nottingham on a visit - we bumped them up to 34PSI and I have run at that ever since - asked the dealer at the 12.5k service to take a look and they said that the tyres were still legal (although pretty much bald on the outside edge).
Had the car in for a warranty repair on some flawed fabric on the drivers seat yesterday (mileage about 17k) and they hit me with the 4 new tyres - no mention of warranty cover or why the rears were so off camber!
Have been having some real trouble with KwikFit and lcoal independant tyre suppliers today due to the word "reinforced" being on the Dunlop SP Sport 2050 tyres supplied on the Mazda 5 in the UK. Some are saying Extra Load (XL) tyres are suitable and others say not and I will have to stick with the Dunlops!
Phoned Mazda UK Customer Services and they did not know and said they would get back to me but nothing as yet!

To be honest I am not impressed with the semi recessed tread in the Dunlops as the three bands of "tread" in the centre of the tyre soon become just three bands of slick rubber when there is plenty of ewear left on the tyre - I travel on country roads around Aberdeenshire and would prefer something that dispersed water/mud a bit more efficiently!
I would ideally like to go for a full depth tread like the Pirelli P6000 Powergy - only trouble is that they are 93W XL and not 93V "reinforced" - can anyhelp help me as I am struggling for clarity and expect the people in the know to actually be able to agree on what I need....unfortunately they don't seem to be able to on this matter ;-{

Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 PM

I had Avon zz3's fitted as a replacement. Dealer suggested them as a suitable replacement. Actually slightly better speed rating.
They have a really chunky tread pattern and are not noisy.

I would persue it with your dealer rather than getting into a spin with MMUK. They are very good at not being bothered when you speak to them direct. However, your dealer has a better line of complaint and it is in their interest to keep you sweet.

I would suggest that you inform the dealer that you know of at least 2 people (myself and the person in the next village to me) Who have had the same problem and MMUK stumped up for the replacement tyres.
I can always let you have the dealers details so your dealer can speak to the helpful chap at our dealers and see what happens.

Nigel

Old 11-28-2006, 01:35 PM

Just managed to get hold of the Warranty Manager at the Mazda dealership that was dealing with my tyre issue and he says he is not getting an response from Mazda UK and does not expect to get any joy on my behalf.
I am totally peeved [:@] and am considering taking this to Which? Magazine (I am a subscriber) or Watchdog as the safety issue alone about the "hidden" rear tyre wear that has been highlight by a few of us is of real concern.
BTW I managed to get 4 Vredestein Ultrac tyres fitted by a local independant for just under £345 - running at 35psi at the moment.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 PM

I would not take that at all. Tell him that you are going to complain directly to MMUK. They are aware of the problem and if they tell you any different they are lying.
If you report it to Mazda they will get in touch with your dealer and you should get things moving. It depends on how pushy your dealer is prepared to be with Mazda I think.

If everyone moans directly to Mazda they should sort things out..........

See this thread also
https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_29205/m..._/tm.htm#31574

Old 12-08-2006, 07:51 AM

Hi All.
I think your forum may well have saved me from buying a problem car. Last Tuesday (8Dec06) I visited a local car dealer where I was very impressed by a 3 month old metallic green Furano. Its done 1300 miles and appeared a good price. Luckily I didn't have my boss with me (the wife) as I felt my cheque book throbbing to be used. So I went home with my shiny brochures and started to do some web research.
Luckily I found this and several other sites telling me of your woes with tyres and suspension.
One thing I don’t need is an unreliable car when transporting my 93 year old mother-in-law around (There isn't room for two of us in her wheelchair).
Just as a matter of interest it appears that this isn't the first time Mazda have had trouble with tyres and suspension on their MPV's. I managed to drag up a 2004 Canadian report which showed apparently similar problems on Mazda MPV's. Lots of talk about replacing sets of tyres, wheel balancing and alignment.
Have a look at the Canadian Automobile Protection Association report on http://www.apa.ca/documents/MPV_report.pdf
Thanks everyone and good luck. It such a shame as it appeared such a great car which was everything I needed. Looks like I am now going to wait till Jan/Feb and think about one of the new Citroen C4 Picassos.
Appears its going to be frogs legs rather than sushi but hey less chance of radioactive thallium!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM

Interesting reading Mike. Thanks for the information.
I shall pass it under the nose of my local dealer and see what he thinks. I need to go back and have the tyres checked soon.

No doubt they will claim that it is a different car and in a different country....

However, the similarities in the problems and basic design of the two cars negates the argument in my eyes....

Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 AM

Just scrolled back through the archive and found this post I made after our first set of tyres had been replaced. Nearly a year on. The problem seems to still be a curse.
I am now on my third set of tyres, MMUK have financed most of the cost!
I wonder if the fix they claimed when they put the 'new tyres' on will once and for all sort the problem.
There are some good pictures that show the extent of the wear of the tyres. The photo's are not of my first set, but they could just have well have been.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM

Just to clear the wind noise up. My dealer took the car fro three days and did extensive tests. they replaced several bits of trim and made lots of adjustments, and covered the car with masking tape......
Result. All noise now gone. Thanks to my dealer......