Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 AM

Although i've not seen excessive tyre wear on my 5 sportdiesel wearing avon tyres, i did receive an email from clive demmon at the farnham common dealership on 26th august 2009 saying that the car has had relevant recall to rectify uneven tyre wear problem, mazda have never told me what that work involved. Very fishy

Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Hi Landlord,
Mazda5 Executive? possibly a brand name used in Ireland.
My own opinion, regardless of the tyre brand used the geometry problem exists in a large percentage of the 5's post and pre face lift. I found it can be circumvented by religiously keeping the tyre pressures on the high side. Drop your guard and the uneven wear will return.
I've sold my 58plate specimen now. I had a recall for the steering pump also and passed it on to the new owner. Super practicable and nice looking car none the less. You'll just have to sit down and do your sums. (plus when you want to sell it again there will be like minded people reading these forums. They can't all be wrong)

Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 AM

One last thing in retrospect. I had a quick look at some other forums on Dunlop tyre wear. There's a surprise.... a guy with a Seat suffering the same issue! I had a Mazda6 from new which had Dunlops and a "saw tooth" effect on the tyres creating a rumble. Funny that... there are people out there with similar issues, Golf owners with Dunlops and uneven tyre wear. Perhaps Mazda's failing is fitting their cars from new with completely rubbish tyres. (there, got it off my chest) bye for now.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by landlord
Shocked at number of pages on this subject of tyre wear. didnt have time to read them all.
Next week I am supposed to be buying a 2009 Mazda 5 executive 2.0 Litre Diesel from a retired couple. It has done 14,000 miles in 2 years and the owner did mention that he had changed the front tyres recently.
Should I be worried about tyre wear for this car?
Are the new tyres expensive to buy?

If it hasn't got the 17" alloys you should be fine. Most of us have seen tyre wear way below 14K. Mine went to about 13K, but suspicious that the dealer changed them to mask the issue, when I bought it at 6 months/8 K as having read about the issue, I checked them very well, with no faults. yet 6K later they were shot!
The wear at the time is logged on a pre-sale inspection sheet.
Tyres start at about £80 fitted.

Compare the specs to the brochure to find what model yours compares with.

Last edited by coney; 01-11-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ChalkyWhite
Although i've not seen excessive tyre wear on my 5 sportdiesel wearing avon tyres, i did receive an email from clive demmon at the farnham common dealership on 26th august 2009 saying that the car has had relevant recall to rectify uneven tyre wear problem, mazda have never told me what that work involved. Very fishy

Would be interesting to see an email that states a recall to rectify the problem. My dealer denies the problem exists, and have swear Mazda have never heard of the issue either.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Forgot to add that when I got the last 2 tyres changed, the garage that did the work apparently see a fair few Mazda 5's with the geometry out.
The Dealer didn't want to know, and went a bit quiet when I pointed out the pressures were now 39psi in the front and they said the fault was caused by under-inflation last time.
To date in 3 months they haven't bothered to reply with anything from mazda, and are refusing to set the geometry up without either my wallet or mazdas' ok.
Bourne Rd Mazda in Crayford won't be seeing my car again

Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Default Tyre wear experience

Originally Posted by landlord
Shocked at number of pages on this subject of tyre wear. didnt have time to read them all.
Next week I am supposed to be buying a 2009 Mazda 5 executive 2.0 Litre Diesel from a retired couple. It has done 14,000 miles in 2 years and the owner did mention that he had changed the front tyres recently.
Should I be worried about tyre wear for this car?
Are the new tyres expensive to buy?
My first set of front tyres were replaced at just over 6000miles due to wear on inside edge down to reinforcing. Wheel alignment fixed the problem and next set did nearly 20000miles with even wear. Rear tyres were changed at almost 20000miles due to either a slow puncture not being picked up quick enough or rear shocks failing - not sure what caused the tyre failure as both faults found at the same time. Prior to that rear tyres were heading for at least 25-30000 miles. As long as you check your tyres regularly for pressure and condition in my experience you should expect to get 20000 out of the front and 30000+ out of the rear. A couple of tips - when parking turn the wheels to full lock to see any signs of inside wear. Do not rely on visual inspection to pick up low inflation - use a gauge as it may not be obvious. To quick check the inside edge feel for the little rubber spikes which are often on new tyres - mine are still there on the rear after nearly 10000miles.

Based on the above 14000 seems a little bit early to be changing but as others have said they were probably Dunlops. In a letter I received from Mazda UK they indicated 15000 as acceptable for low profile tyres.
The main thing is to know whether the tyres were changed due to uneven wear or not. If it was uneven wear then you need to be looking at getting the alignment checked as a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Mazda5 Sport 2.0D late 2008

Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 AM

I believe Mazda has modified rear camber arms that can be installed to reduce the amount of positive camber and reduce pre-mature tire wear.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Default 2011 Mazda 5

Hi All

I have just bought the new 2011 model. Does anyone know if this problem is likely to effect it too?

Regards
Andy

Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 PM

I have a Mazda5 2006, I bought it new. I now have 98,000 mile on it. Rear tire wear was bad. I made it to 50,000 with original tires, but they were VERY loud and severly worn in insides. I installed adjustable RH and LH upper chamber contol arms myself. I purchased these online. I set the using a digital protractor set to -.5 degrees. I have had no abnormal tire wear since and expect the tires I installed at 50,000 to run to about 120,000. (Bridgestone Potenza, wear well but noisy on any car). I would STRONGLY recommend this to Mazda3 and 5 owners

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5