Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Default Update to post#65 and other comments

Hello all,
It is now almost 2000 miles since my car had a 4 wheel alignment and new front tyres. The car feels much better and there is no sign of any unusual wear on any of the tyres. To anyone still experiencing wear problems then I am confident having a 4 wheel alignment set to my figures will fix it. See also Post #70 by CharlotenEddiesdad who has had similar experience. The alignment figures in my case are shown in post #67.

I wrote to Mazda UK in early May. Basically I wanted them to acknowledge their responsibility in producing a car that was "not fit for purpose". I had a prompt acknowledgement from Robert Hancock at MMUK and a further letter after he had spoken with my dealer. The result was not what I wanted in that he ignored all evidence of the tyres being worn (I included a photo showing the rubber down to the inner layer). Also he twisted the issue of any dissatisfaction back to the dealer which was not my intent. It did result in getting another £100 out of the dealer but to my mind this is money that should have come from MMUK. On a financial level I cannot complain - it has cost just over £100, the car is now okay and has had 2 new front tyres. I have written again to Robert Hancock so will see what transpires.
There have been a couple of posts concerning continuing to run cars with tyres that have worn inner or outer edges. Personally I would advise against it even if dealers claim they are legal by talking about tread depth being okay etc. There is also a legal requirement that tyre damage is not beyond 10% of the tyre thickness. Without having the right measuring equipment it is difficult to be precise but I would guess the tyre wall thickness to be approx 15mm. This means you only need 1.5mm of wear on the sidewalls before it becomes illegal. I am quite sure this is the line the police or insurance company would take should you be involved in an accident. Irrespective of any legal implications I simply would not be happy driving a car with sidewall tyre wear where the inner rubber layer is exposed.

2008 Mazda5 Sport 2.0D

Old 06-01-2009, 11:36 AM

You will have to be confident or committed to thinking it is toe alignment to spend on this. The reason I believe it is a too negative Camber (on the front) is because of the evidence of where the wear is. Whereas there has been no evidence of, certainly for me on my 08 Sport, that there is incorrect toe values because there is no 'feathering' of the tread pattern.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Hi All

After my 3rd year service last week and MOT I was advised that my 06 Mazda 5 petrol sport petrol tyres have once again worn close to the legal limit and require changing :-(

Original full set of tyres were replace in Nov 2007 after only 12k miles. The rears had worn illegal on the inside edges and the fronts were replaced due to being part of the same batch. The dealer replaced with Continental ContiSports with Mazda contributing approximately two thirds of the cost.

The current set have been on for 15k miles and the wear is now on all 4 outer edges. The tread wear is down to 2mm on the NSF/NSR with just under 3mm on the OSF/OSR. All the tyres have a pretty consistant 4.5mm on the rest of the tread.

My dealer dismissed the wear being due to pot holes, incorrect tyre pressures etc and claimed that they/mazda would not investigate the issue further as the tyres were only expected to last a year / 10k miles and I should be happy with achieving almost 15k regardless of the fact that the majority of the tread is still over 4.5mm !

Their recommendation is to only fit Dunlop SP2050 and that I can have the car allignement checked at my own cost. They claim to have heard of no dissatisfaction with customers who have had the revised Dunlop SP2050s (?)

Luckily I got the service/MOT done early so I still have a few weeks left of my warranty, so letter of complaint went in the post today to Mazda UK. I also submitted to the SMMT and provided them copies of the letter/supporting documentation

Andy Watson

Old 06-01-2009, 06:07 PM

If i can get the back fixed, i will be happy!

J

Old 06-02-2009, 05:20 AM

Your mazda rep ( and others) must be lying or not enquiring or looking the issue up. The 10 working day limit for a progress report or conclusion to SMMT and me has not happened. SMMT will now have to review and eventually it will have to go to the Codes Advisory and Conciliation Service. It may go to some sort of small court similar to small claims. As I claim (with good evidence) their car is a danger to Unknown drivers just looking at thwe normal thread pattern wear and they say it's not a danger.
More letters to SMMT or they will conclude I am an isolated and unfortunate case....'Dismissed!'.

UPDATE See the other thread about UK 2008 Mazda 5 tyre wear. I've had the letter from SMMT with Mazda's dumb ignorant response, not answering properly any question, just a run down of history, no value at all and just rhetoric (bull****).

Update ...see page 49 post 489 for my tyre update

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 07-07-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add update
Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Default MAZDA 5 tyre Wear ,,,,,,,Lets make a stand

MAZDA 5 TYRE WEAR........... Im Fed up with dealers excuses and mazda dening that there is not a issue with tyre wear, whos up for making a stand at the Mazda building , by blocking the building completly with our cars and getting the press involved ( by the why my brother works for the daily mail) lets show them that we will not be fob off anymore ...

any one intrested in coming contact me ,,, if you see this pass info on to as many other mazda 5 owners that you can ,,

i am also trying to Get BBC Top gear involved , so we get as much publicity as possible

darren

Darren.haythorpe@googlemail.com

Last edited by Heli Daz; 06-04-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Don't you know it's the environmentally responsible thing to do to drive around in a car whose tyres are made from recycled condoms you silly sod?

(Mazda denied having a problem with EHPS pumps too; now there's a TSB out on it).

I'd happily join you except a) I live in Canada, b) my Mazda is a '99 Protege 1,8L FP 5 speed, no ABS, touring edition, 95K Km. works like a charm even at -30 Deg.C.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 AM

Maybe the best stand (at least in the uk) is for all effected to submit letters to Mazda UK and copy the SMMT (http://www.motorindustrycodes.co.uk/) immediatly so that we can all be considered together rather than individuals. My letter for a 2nd set of worn tyres in 27k miles went off this week and I see on other threads that a number of people have done the same

Andy

Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 PM

Id make a stand with you... except I am also in Canada, and my '08 mazda 5 does not have the tire problem... not sure if it was ever an issue here.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Heli Daz
MAZDA 5 TYRE WEAR........... Im Fed up with dealers excuses and mazda dening that there is not a issue with tyre wear, whos up for making a stand at the Mazda building , by blocking the building completly with our cars and getting the press involved ( by the why my brother works for the daily mail) lets show them that we will not be fob off anymore ...

any one intrested in coming contact me ,,, if you see this pass info on to as many other mazda 5 owners that you can ,,

i am also trying to Get BBC Top gear involved , so we get as much publicity as possible

darren

Darren.haythorpe@googlemail.com
What model & year is yours ???

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5