Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Should I buy a 5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Default Should I buy a 5?

Hello, Im a newb on the forums but I've been researching the 5 sport to buy and it looks like a promising choice but i just need to be swayed toward or against itI really enjoy the community the "van atmosphere" brings to the table

I will be moving 800 miles away from where i am currently and i need a vehicle to carry my stuff there, and i want to use the vehicle i purchase as an uber car when i move there as well.(it will be a daily driver) I will be living in an apartment for the first time ever and ill more than likely need to transport larger things like couches, tables ect. Id like good mileage (what is good real world mileage for a 5?) and ill be carrying passengers around all the time in the city.

So the question is would you buy a 5 for my purposes? Or would a mazda 3 wagon/hatch or other be more suited? Thank you for your input!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:42 PM

I have had both a 3 and a 5. I would go with the 5 given your need to move and use as an Uber taxi. Using your car for Uber: Be careful to check your transmission fluid regularly (every 3000 miles). In stop and go driving the 5 goes through transmission fluid every 25-30,000 miles. It caught us by surprise the first time. No worries now.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by jphiggins
I have had both a 3 and a 5. I would go with the 5 given your need to move and use as an Uber taxi. Using your car for Uber: Be careful to check your transmission fluid regularly (every 3000 miles). In stop and go driving the 5 goes through transmission fluid every 25-30,000 miles. It caught us by surprise the first time. No worries now.
Hi there Ive just bought a Mazda 5 and saw youre post regarding transmission fluid.. ours is the 6 speed 2.0 tdi and the wife is finding it stiff to change gear. Ive driven the car and I do agree with her. so this has now got me thinking.. could it be the fluid? anyway was yours the 6 speed manual? or was it the automatic?

Old 09-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Default Transmission

I am in USA Midwest. My '5' is a 2.5 gas/petrol with the Automatic Transmission (AT). We have short weekday commutes and long highway drives on weekends in dusty conditions. Although Manual Transmissions (MT) generally have much longer service intervals. You should always check the owner's manual or online here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/manuals-and-guides/2017/mx-5-rf/2017_mxr_scheduled_maintenance.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjV9-vqlMjWAhVHrFQKHVB5AqAQFggzMAE&usg=AFQjCNGkQc31HjYS AzFnf4Ac4AkQVL4pYQ

Scheduled Maintenance (U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico) - Mazda USA

The standard interval for MT is 4 years/96,000 kilometers/ 60,000 mi whichever comes first.

However, the severe driving schedule (stop and go city driving) is 2yrs/48,000 kilometers/ 30,000 miles. I would use the severe driving schedule. Fluid changes are a cheap insurance policy. Maybe another user has the MT with a lot of city driving and can chime in on this.

BTW, I would have loved to get the Diesel MT option of it was made available to us.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:28 AM

cheers for that. Yea I think ill give the transmission an oil change and see if this improves matters.

Ive seen a few posts on different forums regarding the options we got here in the UK on a few different cars. Ive also got a 1997 Audi A4 1.9tdi quattro Avant where as in the USA the 1.9tdi was never an option on the A4 at that age. Its a shame as its a great engine and performs well even with high miles.