Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Default Radiator replacement

Hi everyone, new member here with a radiator problem. My 06 Mazda 5 has developed a coolant leak on the passenger side plastic radiator tank. I understand that I will have to replace the radiator and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has replaced their radiator and could share their expertise on the process. It's been a while since I've turned wrenches and I just wanted to make sure that this is a project that I can handle. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Once in my time I replaced a radiator and broke it! The material was so thin, I couldn't get the bottom hose on. Meanwhile I learned that a little bit of lubricant helps.

I suggest you look at some Youtubes on replacing the radiator.

I would rather pay a pro so I have someone other than me to blame if it goes wrong.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM

So the plastic tank had a leak and that results in replacing the entire radiator? Did I miss something? Why cant the tank itself just be replaced?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by BCNorth
So the plastic tank had a leak and that results in replacing the entire radiator? Did I miss something? Why cant the tank itself just be replaced?
From what I've been told the radiator is a throw away "non serviceable" part and when a leak develops in the plastic tank the only remedy is replacement of the entire unit. I have read online by several posters that glueing the broken tank is a temporary fix at best and you will ultimately have to replace the radiator anyway. I referenced the Mazda repair manual and it says I will need to remove the entire front bumper and grille assembly to access the radiator for removal! Boy this sounds like fun.