Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

plain replacement key mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: plain replacement key Mazda5

ORIGINAL: Bob*5

I emailed Jason at Online Mazda Parts as icspots suggested. He gave me the information about the spare key and shorter antenna for my 2009 Mazda 5. I ordered online Wednesday and received my order today (Friday). The key was already cut as I gave him the tag number and I programmed the new key as indicated in a post above in about 1 minute. The new shorty antenna from a CX-7 took about 30 seconds and I also ordered a rear bumper protector that I haven't installed yet. Thanks to all on this forum for saving me a bundle!!!
That's what we're here for Bob, glad everything worked out well, though with Jason I'm not surprised.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Default Miata key replacement

Recently purchased 2008 mx5 and wanted to make spare key to just unlock the door. A local locksmith made a key but it wouldn't work. Does anyone know if only a transponder key will work to unlock doors?

Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM

I have already paid $250 to have my keys reprogrammed, now I have lost a key and they want another $250 for a new key. This is crazy. Glad I am on this forum looking for solutions. I tried the www.onlinemazdaparts.com but it says I have no authority. Help

Old 12-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Puppet
Recently purchased 2008 mx5 and wanted to make spare key to just unlock the door. A local locksmith made a key but it wouldn't work. Does anyone know if only a transponder key will work to unlock doors?
It's probably more likely that there was an issue with the cut. If he used a Ford template for the key cut then it might have shaved a few extra mm's off the blank making it fit incorrectly. I had that happen with a key once. Put the two keys next to each other and confirm that they're identical.

Originally Posted by Mazda561
I have already paid $250 to have my keys reprogrammed, now I have lost a key and they want another $250 for a new key. This is crazy. Glad I am on this forum looking for solutions. I tried the Online Mazda Parts but it says I have no authority. Help
If you have two working keys you can replace and program the new key for free. If you only have one key then they'll have to do the programming for you.

That said if you just want replacement keys you can just get simple transponder keys for ~$30 (from the dealer/online), or about $9 for aftermarket ones. That way you're not paying the full cost for several of the flip key/remotes.

Once you get two working ones get a third key and program it yourself that way should you ever lose another key you're not stuck forking money over to the dealer yet again.

I just dropped an e-mail to Jason re: the issues with their website. Hopefully they'll get it back up. In the meantime you can e-mail him at mazdapart@gmail.com. He may or may not get the e-mail before they reopen on Monday though.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 PM

I bought a key on ebay for about $10 shipped. Took it to a locksmith to have it cut. Then took it home and programmed it myself. Whole thing was super easy, and in total cost less than $20. Dealers RIP YOU OFF on keys. I would never get the key from them.

Programming is easy - cant remember exactly how to do it, but you need your two original keys.