Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

2010 Mazda5 GT - Antenna & Key

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Default 2010 Mazda5 GT - Antenna & Key

HI. All.

Just bought a new 2010 5 GT. Found out the OEM antenna is too long for the garage door. Any suggestion for a shorter one?

In addition, need 1 or 2 spare keys. I don't need anything fancy like the remote. What is the cheapest way to get them?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Kevin

Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 PM

Same garage door problem on mine also.

Gleaned this from the 'other' Mazda 5 forum:

6" long antenna from a Dodge Journey. Part number 5064710AA.

I picked up one back in early June for my new 2010 M5 Sport.

Walked into the local Dodge dealership parts department, gave the guy the number (had to order it), & picked it up 2 days later.

Price was about $6.50.

I also saw a post that an antenna from a Mazda CX-7 will fit.

See this thread on this forum for some key info:

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda5-43/third-key-cheap-programmed-myself-23177/

I also purchased a plain metal key from a local locksmith for $5. All it does it open the drivers door, won't start the car. I carry it when I'm riding my bicycle so I don't have to carry the big remote fob key.

I also purchased a used fob with a used key off eBay, then purchased 2 bayonet key blanks off eBay. I got both of the bayonet keys cut by a local hardware store, replaced the used key on the remote fob, and then programmed it using the 2 fobs that came with the car to open the doors and also start the car. Programming it to start the car is fairly easy. Programming it to unlock/lock the doors is a bit harder.

You need 2 good full fobs or transponder keys to program a 3rd one yourself. You DO NOT want to loose one of your fobs and then have to buy a fob and have it programmed by a Mazda dealer, as it can cost big bucks. You need 2 full fobs to program a spare one to unlock/lock the doors.

So, get at least a transponder key ASAP, and you might want to cruise eBay for a used fob and get a replacement bayonet key. Some sellers on eBay also sell fobs with blank keys, prices were running $50-$70. Fobs with used keys were $15 up. I got two bayonet keyblanks from a US seller for about $16.00 in the door. I got 2 in case one got messed up being cut, but they both came out OK.

If you go the used fob route, you have to get the code numbers inside the fob to get another one with the same codes or it won't work.