Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

That Noise we all hate to hear

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by scknightfan
Well, I was the one who started the thread but I have an 2009 Mazda 5 with 80,000 miles on it. Does anyone have a good brand for struts? I received a quote from my local mechanic and it was 850 for 4 new shocks/struts that were monroe shocks
Hi scknightfan

Did you ever find out what was causing the noise..? I have the same symptoms as you described. A sort of thud noise when going over bumbs in the morning, for the first 10-15 minutes or so.

It has happened the past couple of winters now. I did mention it to Mazda the last time the car went in for a service, but they said they couldnt see anything wrong. Thats fine, but the noise is driving me crazy !!

David

Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by scknightfan
I live in South Carolina and the temps have dropped the last few weeks. Each morning the front suspension a noise for about 10 minutes when first driving. the rest of the day nothing. Does this ring a bell for anyone?
My wife's 2009 GT has the exact same symptoms. Let us know what you find is the problem.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM

I have the same problem, only really noticable in the very cold. Seems like the anti-roll bar bushes.

With the issue of first few minutes in the cold, being colder, the rubber is harder and less pliable causing them to absorb less of the energy after a few minutes the friction will cause the rubber to soften and be less noticable. Nothing too serious. This would be the same for all rubber bushes so might not be antiroll bar in every case.

When you go over a bump, is the thud exactly when you hit the bump, or does it reverberate for a little longer followed by smaller knocks. This is usually classic anti-roll bar bushes.

I plan to get mine sorted when the weather improves and i feel like spending the afternoon under the car :P