Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

That Noise we all hate to hear

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Default That Noise we all hate to hear

Hey everyone! New to the forums. I have a Mazda 5 Sport 2009 who is starting to make the noise in the front of the car when going over bumps. I love my car but was wondering what should be replaced in order to make it go away. I am not a handy person so it would be done by a mechanic. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Based solely on your description, it's very hard to tell. It could be many things, so here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:
1. Sway bar bushing
2. Lower control arm bushing
3. Upper strut bushing
4. Bad or worn strut

Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 AM

....and sway bar links.
Your mechanic will find it quickly if it is loud enough.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM

2009? Are you still under warranty? Here in Canada we get 3 years 80,000 km's, so if under warranty don't worry about it, take it to Mazda.

If warranty is over, I suggest going to anyone BUT Mazda, and you'll probably want to go with aftermarket parts for suspension, from my experience, aftermarket is superior, and comes with a better warranty.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 PM

I live in South Carolina and the temps have dropped the last few weeks. Each morning the front suspension a noise for about 10 minutes when first driving. the rest of the day nothing. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM

"Noise" is too general. Beethoven had to change his address very often, because what he thought is "music" the landlords defined as "noise".
Creaking squealing, knocking, making thud, growling, grinding, screeching are just a few terms.....

Old 10-26-2012, 12:12 PM

excellent point! I would think it sounds more of like a thud. it feels like the noise comes from the front of the car. Any time of bumps of any sort make the thud for about 10-15 minutes until the car get warmed up? I don't mind the noise however I purchased new tires and from what I read from the other posts they can get wear unevenly if the suspension is garbage.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM

A thud would indicate some rubber bushings getting to loose. Prime candidate: Swaybar bushings. But this does not explain why the sound disappears after warm up.

So, scknightfan: you hopped onto an existing thread and leave us in the dark about what car you have, what miles are on it, what you have done to address the problem...
New tires would indicate high miles and that would lead me to think your struts are on the way out.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM

Well, I was the one who started the thread but I have an 2009 Mazda 5 with 80,000 miles on it. Does anyone have a good brand for struts? I received a quote from my local mechanic and it was 850 for 4 new shocks/struts that were monroe shocks

Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM

Sorry, I didn't go back to post one and that caused a "senior moment".

I replaced my front struts on my minivan with "Raybestos" quick struts. It was a bad choice. They have noisy thrust bearings and depending on the weather they creak like a door with rusty hinges.
Go with Monroe Sens-A-track.
If your mechanic has included a wheel alignment than his quote is a-ok.

Quick Reply: That Noise we all hate to hear