Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Neutral Safety Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Default Neutral Safety Switch?

I have a 2006 Mazda 5 with 90K miles on it. About 2 weeks ago, it began giving me problems at start. I was told to try to start it in neutral and it started right up. Right then, we decided that it was likely the neutral safety switch that was causing the problems. We replaced it, but there is no change in the way the car is starting. I have to go back and forth between park and neutral several times before it starts.

Funny thing is, it will start in park right away first thing in the morning, but as the day goes by, and the car has been run, it really gets difficult to start. (I don't know if any of this has anything to do with anything, but I thought I would be as specific as possible just in case.)

I have bought another neutral safety switch thinking that the other one was bad out of the box, and the car is going back into the shop tomorrow. I wanted to see if any of you would have any suggestions about what it might be before I take it in.

It is going in for more than just the starting problem (strut mounts and front brakes) and I would appreciate any suggestions that you all might have.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:51 PM

I am having the same issue after I had the transmission rebuilt. I have had 3 neutral safety switches and a new cable from the transmission to the shifter. Did you ever get this figured out if you still have the car.