Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda 5 Turbo failure (DPF warning light)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Default Mazda 5 Turbo failure (DPF warning light)

Hi - I have a 2006 Mazda 5 (2.0D Sport Nav, UK), done 25k miles. I like the car a lot in terms of versatility and driving. It suffers some of the problems I've noted on this forum(steering rack noise on reversing, tyre wear) but has recently developed a serious fault with the turbo.

A few weeks ago the DPF warning light (flashing)came on, the engine lost power as the turbo was cut-off. Cue lots of black smoke from the exhaust as oil got into the system. Car had to betowed to the dealership, where it spent 3 weeks as Mazdahad to replace the turbo unit entirely. A fortnightlater and the same problemhas arisen on the new turbo unit yesterday. This after 2 weeks of driving the car withno pick-up or power over 2k rpm. Poor performance that I'd describe as downright dangerous on a motorway, a complete inability to accelerate when overtaking, even when dropping a gear. So, the car was towed back to the Mazda dealer yesterday and I'm awaiting with interest their feedback on it.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mazda 5 Turbo failure (DPF warning light)

My car is fuel (petrol) and is not turboed, but you might check the seal to the turbo from the exhaust.I understand that to be a weak link in any turbo system and have had a friend w/a Speed3(MPS to you) haveone replaced inthe first year he owned his.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks - the dealership did mention the seal. They are in touch with Mazda's tech department in the UK. Apparently my original turbo was the first in the UK to fail on a Mazda 5, which is why it took so long to repair. Strangethat the replacement turbo appears to have also failed a fortnight later. Suggests another underlying problem.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps too much pressure... but I am just throwing stones here.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 PM

It may be the "first" Mazda 5 diesel engine failure they have heard of, but the same engine in the Mazda 6 has a substantial track record of failures, so does the Mondeo TDCI which also uses this unit, as I understand. Try a web search on "Mazda 6 diesel turbo failure".

Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 AM

Doesn't sound like turbo failure to me. Blue smoke yes, but black smoke is more likely to be over fuelling. I'd suggest there may be a problem with the DPF regeneration process. What did you do when the DPF light first came on? This would normally indicate the filter needs regenerating due to short low speed journeys which prevent normal regeneration, this would require a fast motorway run to burn out the particulates. Could you see oil in the exhaust pipe? Did you check your engine oil recently? There's a X on the dipstick which the oil must not pass. If it does it can cause major damage.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:13 AM

ORIGINAL: NickC

Doesn't sound like turbo failure to me. Blue smoke yes, but black smoke is more likely to be over fuelling. I'd suggest there may be a problem with the DPF regeneration process. What did you do when the DPF light first came on? This would normally indicate the filter needs regenerating due to short low speed journeys which prevent normal regeneration, this would require a fast motorway run to burn out the particulates. Could you see oil in the exhaust pipe? Did you check your engine oil recently? There's a X on the dipstick which the oil must not pass. If it does it can cause major damage.
Hi - thanks for the input.

If it wasn't a turbo failure originally why would Mazda change out the entire turbo unit for a new one? Surely theirtechnicians would at least diagnose the problem correctly? Agree that black smoke suggests excess oil/fuel somewhere in the system but that may have been an additional problem. And yes, I do check the oil fairly regularly. That was not a problem

When the DPF light first came on I stopped, read the manual and did exactly as it instructed - over 20 minute run at over 2k rpm to burn out the excess particulates. In fact, when it failed for the 2nd time I was on a long motorway run heading down the M4,something I do fairly regularly.The DPF light came on solid a couple of times, then went off. However, when all power over 2k rpm disappeared,the car had no pick up after40mph, and the DPF light started flashing, I also did as the manual instructed - stopped and had it taken back to the dealership.According to the manual it's the flashing DPF light that indicates a more serious problem - this is exactly what happened the first time before the complete turbo failure / smoke etc.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:15 AM

ORIGINAL: davmal735

It may be the "first" Mazda 5 diesel engine failure they have heard of, but the same engine in the Mazda 6 has a substantial track record of failures, so does the Mondeo TDCI which also uses this unit, as I understand. Try a web search on "Mazda 6 diesel turbo failure".
Thanks, I'll take a look, good idea.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:55 AM

Technicians do make mistakes. I'm a mobile mechanic and do some diagnostics for other garages as well as my own customers. A few weeks ago one of the garages had just changed a turbo on a Mondeo TDCi which had similar, but not identical, symptoms to you. It was idling OK but really lacked power and showed low boost pressure and replacing the turbo had made no difference, they were a bit stumped! I took a look at it and found the manifold pressure was showing atmospheric at all engine speeds, dug a bit deeper and found a split in a turbo pipe. They'd just replaced a £700 turbo when the hose cost about £30. Sometimes it can be very difficult to properly diagnose faults especially if the diagnostics says it's one thing and another is actually causing the fault.
Main dealers don't always have the time to diagnose faults properly and sometimes it's easier to just diagnose by elimination which doesn't cost them anything if it's a warranty job.
Unfortunately I haven't had to deal with DPFs and my knowledge is fairly limited so it will be interesting to know what your fault is. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: davmal735

so does the Mondeo TDCI which also uses this unit, as I understand.
They are different engines. The mondeo has a timing chain for a start and hydraulic valve lifters.

Quick Reply: Mazda 5 Turbo failure (DPF warning light)