Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Looking for power

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Default Looking for power

Hello Everybody i just found this forum today...cause well i started looking today. I have a 2010 Mazda 5 with a 2.3L engine. I am looking to add some power as my family and i frequently travel with it. unfortunately the travel invovles going over some hills. and with a family of 5 in veichle it needs more Mustard to get over the hills. I find it depressing when Semi's are passing you by. Any info would be great.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Banned

Putting in a K&N air filter and synthetic oil in your engine may result in +5 HP or so.
Maybe someone else can help.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 PM

thanks for the info. I'll give that a try especially the K&N I was wondering about adding a KN filter to it. Would you happen to know which KN filter would fit or is it just whichever ever one they have for a 2.3L?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Banned

Also, put some fuel system cleaner it to get a better injector spray.
You'll have to search on-line with model type etc.
Performance Parts & Accessories - Domestic Canadian Shipping - Marken Performance & Restoration

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Paulykro
thanks for the info. I'll give that a try especially the K&N I was wondering about adding a KN filter to it. Would you happen to know which KN filter would fit or is it just whichever ever one they have for a 2.3L?
If you are looking for real, measurable gains in horsepower and torque, not imaginary butt-dyno horsepower, then there are really only two main upgrades you can make to your car (short of spending thousands on a turbo)

1.) A cold air intake system. The kind that replaces your stock airbox with a muchh freer flowing pipe. Just putting a K&N drop in filter in your stock airbox will not get you a single extra horsepower. Parts are tricky to find for this car, but I'm pretty sure AEM and K&N both make full cold air intake systems for this car. This upgrade is good for a gain of 5-10 real, measurable horsepower and 4-6 extra ftlbs of torque.

2.) A performance cat-back exhaust system. Replace your stock exhaust from the catalytic converter, back to the tailpipe. Again, tricky to find parts for this car, but I know at least one Japanese tuner called AutoEXE makes one for your car. Alternately, you could get a GOOD custom exhaust shop to build you a better, mandrel bent exhaust with a high flow muffler. This upgrade will be good for another 5-10 horsepower.

These two mods together will yield 10-20 more hp, enough that you definitely notice. Figure +15-16 to be conservative. But it won't be free. Cold air intake will run you $175-300, but you can install it yourself if you are even a little handy and can follow directions. The exhaust upgrade will run you about $6-800 installed.

Skip the drop in filters and fuel additives and don't put premium gas in your car. NONE of those things will give any measurable increase in power, its just throwing money away.

Actually, I've got two more for you. First is remove an unnecessary weight from your car whenever you can. If you can find even 60-100 lbs of junk you can remove from the car, it will help.

The last one is wheels, believe it or not. Significantly lighter wheels will improve acceleration and response by a noticeable amount. Ask ANY racer. Your stock Mazda alloys and most cheaper big aftermarket wheels will run anywhere from 24-30 lbs a piece BEFORE you put the tire on! This mass slows your car down a lot more than the same weight IN your car. Its weird, but its called "unsprung weight". The car has to not only haul 400 lbs of wheels and tires around, but it has to rotate two of them to get power to the ground.

Swap your heavy 24-28+ pound wheels for some 14-15 lb racing alloys from tire rack and your car will become noticeably more responsive and lighter on its feet. As a fringe benefit, lighter wheels also improve handling.

Do ALL of the mods I listed above and I'm confident you will get that extra kick in the pants you are looking for.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:06 PM

that is fantastic info just need to save the money up to make the cold air intake system as well as the wheels. Other problem is i have to many hobbies that cost to much money. one thing at a time though

Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 PM

@Ryan Keith.
Do you know whatcold air intake would fit my '10 Mazda 5. i know it was built on a mazda 3 chasis but not sure which one of the CAI would be right for my ride?