Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

I think I may have found my next vehicle ? Mazda 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Default I think I may have found my next vehicle ? Mazda 5

Hi All,

I think a Mazda 5 could be my next vehicle. I would like your feedback.

I have looked and spec'd out these vehicles;
-Acura RDX - too expensive
-Toyota Matrix -too small
-Honda Fit - too underpowered
-Honda Element - too ugly
-Honda CRV - too underpowered

all of them were considered, but no longer. I was a honda owner for the longest time.
I have never owned a mazda.

Then right under my nose, at my work's parking lot, I saw this Mazda 5 and had a good look at it. wow ! Then after researching it more, this thing has got everything I need. I don't see how one can be considered a mini van owner ? It doesn't look like a mini van until you slide the rear doors. Power and cargo capacity. I am looking a loaded 2010 model.

I do have a few questions?

How is Mazda's reliability ? (Canadian winters)

Does the Navigation work well or should I buy my own ?

Do you consider yourself a minivan person driving it ?

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks,

Last edited by mazda5_sj; 04-14-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Hi, have you not seen all the posts on the tyre wear? illd stay well away.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 PM

rubber is a lot cheaper than mechanical imo..

Old 04-14-2010, 03:06 PM

I am sooo not a minivan person. The Mazda 5, especially with a manual transmission, does not make me feel like driving a minivan - in fact, MANY people have thought we drove a matrix, I can see the similarities.

We dont have the Nav, so can't comment on that.

We live on the west cost of BC on Vancouver island - not super harsh winters, but we do get our share of cold & snow - we have had no problems that were winter related. We also have snow tires, and the car does very well in the snow. Have chains, but have never had to use them.

Car can feel a little underpowered, especially when loaded with camping gear etc, so maybe wait for the 2011 which has about 10% more power (if you like the new look - I like it, but many do not). I think it will be released in Nov.

- Oh and the tire wear issues has not been an issue for me at all, and from what I have heard, does not effect Canadian vehicles (or US vehicles either I believe) We have 50,000 kms on our 5, with about 35-40,000 of that on the all season, original tires, and they are wearing very evenly. We have 10-15,000 km's on our snow tiers, and they show very little wear at all, they look almost new.

Last edited by BCNorth; 04-14-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Default next vehicle

I just purchased a 20110 Mazda5 GT. My thoughts were very much in line with yours. My previous car was a 1998 Honda CR-V - purchased new, maintained and driven for 12 years. I'm very much enjoying the new Mazda5 - feels like an airplane compared to a 1998 vintage vehicle. It's primary advantages. as far as my family's concerned are 1) flexibility - up to 6 passengers or various seat down configurations that make hauling a breeze, 2) gas mileage, 3) cost - a significant savings over the CR-V and other vehicles I considered, 4) sliding rear doors are a great convenience in parking lots and small garages - save lots of door dents and access difficulties.

after just a month, it seems clear to me though that Honda's quality is better. And hey, I really miss my old down to earth and honest Honda dealer. The Mazda5 GT has a rather "plastic" interior - clearly a step down from the Honda CR-V. After having driven the CR-V for 12 years, the Mazda just doesn't feel quite as "plush". Also, I live in Wisconsin so will definitely be purchasing and extra set of rims and snow tires come winter. This would not be necessary had I purchase the CR-V.

Still, the Mazda5 GT was the right purchase for me and my family! The flexibility of being able to carry 6 people relatively comfortably when necessary and still having the ability to haul lumber yard materials and lots of groceries plus quite good gas mileage and an overall fantastic price made this the right decision for us. Overall it's a fantastic vehicle! We paid $21,600 for the GT and that included 0% financing for 3 years. A heck of a deal! I have no regrets.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:50 PM

I am assuming you are in Canada. Therefore you will not have the front tyre wear issue. The vehicle for your market is quite different (you only have 6 seats or is that the US version). Other setting and equipment different too.
I don't feel like a van driver in fact it's just like driving a fast and 'nippy' car.
In the UK the spec is very fine, the navigation rubbish/useless and no customer service that does what we want.
I say take 1 for a test drive and do it in the wet to see how it handles corners there. push it a bit on a corner, safely. As over here mine is rubbish and only improved by putting Continental Conti Sport 3 tyres on (they are softer and therefore grippier).

Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM

My wife and I bought the car because it wasn't a "mini-van" We were looking at an Element (no carpet two kids under 6=winner seating for 4 only = loser)

Don't let the tire wear people bother you. They don't know about a fancy new device called a "wheel alignment machine" that are at strange places called "service centers". Tell the dirty person working on your car to set the alignment not to factory spec but to best tire wear. Problem solved. You will lose some cornering ability but your tires will have better life. Pirelli PZero Nero All Season seem to be a good choice for the "fat hatchback sportwagon." (That is what we call ours)

Being in Tennessee I can't say about the winter driving. Our definition of winter and yours is really different.

Nav don't have one but I can't see paying the premium for a factory installed unit that has far inferior operation than a aftermarket one.

It is a commonized drivetrain with most of the Mazda lineup so no real worries there. Very reliable.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Wink Ooooh, sensitive subject!

Originally Posted by FlightService
Don't let the tire wear people bother you. They don't know about a fancy new device called a "wheel alignment machine" that are at strange places called "service centers".
I dare you to post that on the UK Tyre Wear thread!!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Dads_Taxi -

Yeah I gathered that, I don't want to beat a dead horse. Well at least one with only the inside of the horseshoe wearing.

I can even see the adjustment bolts in one of the pictures, set in the middle.
Loosen, turn, re-tighten, no more uneven tire wear. BRILLIANT!

I don't know UK laws, maybe they have to set them at manufacturers recommendations?