Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

How to remove Roof rails?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Cool How to remove Roof rails?

hello everyone,

i just got my mazda5 2008 facelift sport nav. i am just curious how easy is it to remove my roof rail, i ve seen in US models that they dont have it and in my opinion it looks better....
i would appreciate your replies.

thanks!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Default disassembly pictures

I wanted to remove my roof rails on my 2008 2l petrol sport to make it look sleeker (even more like a car) and reduce, slightly. drag. But it's not just a case of removing, it's also the acquiring of the all the components to replace the eyesore left. For example to remove the front right rail support you need to push down and forward with force and possibly shock. Do not do it in the cold as you may crack the plastic trim, the hotter the day the easier to deform without damage the plastic trim. There are bolts to remove as well.
If you really want to remove them I suggest you get a price for the replacement covers or trim first. Let us know the price if you go ahead.
Alternatively....... go tto a breakers or scrap yard and remove the trim off a 'normal' Mazda 5 from about 2006 or newer yourself so you can see what is involved (take pictures too).

Attached Thumbnails How to remove Roof rails?-p1010156.jpg   How to remove Roof rails?-p1010155.jpg   How to remove Roof rails?-p1010154.jpg   How to remove Roof rails?-p1010153.jpg   How to remove Roof rails?-p1010148.jpg  

Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM

I didnt know any models came with rails - interesting. mine doesnt have them, and from what I can tell, you are probably right, looks better without.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Let's make this work here.

North American M5's do not have roof rails. I want roof rails.

So how about a swap of part numbers or actual parts?
michael.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by red headz
Let's make this work here.

North American M5's do not have roof rails. I want roof rails.

So how about a swap of part numbers or actual parts?
michael.
hi,

thanks for the idea, but i think i will just try to find the cover for mine so whenever i change my mind again, i got the option. thanks again!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by GSX600FMAN
I wanted to remove my roof rails on my 2008 2l petrol sport to make it look sleeker (even more like a car) and reduce, slightly. drag. But it's not just a case of removing, it's also the acquiring of the all the components to replace the eyesore left. For example to remove the front right rail support you need to push down and forward with force and possibly shock. Do not do it in the cold as you may crack the plastic trim, the hotter the day the easier to deform without damage the plastic trim. There are bolts to remove as well.
If you really want to remove them I suggest you get a price for the replacement covers or trim first. Let us know the price if you go ahead.
Alternatively....... go tto a breakers or scrap yard and remove the trim off a 'normal' Mazda 5 from about 2006 or newer yourself so you can see what is involved (take pictures too).
hi,

thanks a lot for the help!!!
i will try it and will try to go to car breakers or ask my mazda dealer.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Can you guys get me the part numbers for your roof rails please? Either look at your disassembled rails, or hit up your dealerships to ask?

MazdaUSA has been no help for me over here.
But if I can provide OEM numbers, then I've got potential.

I still think it's funny that you guys want them off... and I reallly want them!

michael.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Default grass is greener on the other side......

yeh, i thot about them too.....
when we had a volvo stationwagon, they just latched into these little holes. It was GREAT to have the rack for travel. But the other 98% of the time i DEFINATELY had them off, because of the drag, and the noise.