Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Handbrake Problem - Urgent

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Default Brake failure twice

This has happened to me twice now. I've been super lucky that both time nothing was ever damaged. Once was in restaurant parking lot and it amazingly avoided other cars. The other time it rolled right down the street and stopped at a side walk curb. Both times the hand break was still up and pretty far up I might add. I now always leave the car in first in addition to the hand break. Heat can cause brake material to expand when hot and then shrink when cool, but not to the point where it should release the hand brake. Mazda really needs to put out a bulletin on this. I'm just glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I bought my Mazda 5 used with 12,000 miles on it so I've always assumed it was basically brand new, but whenever you get problems you have to wonder what you bought...

Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Hello Mach5Mazda.

Please report this problem to the national highway safety board. I just filed a complaint yesterday. These need to be documented for them to investigate the possibility of a recall. I would really appreciate it, since I am trying to recover the money I paid to the insurance company. Here is the link and phone number. My ins company listed Mazda at fault for my incident, but Mazda is not getting back to them.

888-327-4236
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Carmen Russo

Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM

The rear disc brake theory does seem quite plausible. I suspect that the expansion occurs more significantly in the rotor, rather than in the pads themselves. A cooling rotor would relieve the friction against the brake pads as it contracted.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Default Complaint filed

Hi Carmen, I filed a complaint at the safety board today. Hopefully something gets done. My father is an electrical engineer and used to deal with brake sensors. I ran the problem by him the other day and he suggested tightening the brake cable, but he was pretty adament that once the car is in a parked position it should stay still. These heat issues that people are talking, according to him, shouldn't be a problem unless there's some poor engineering at Mazda. The most extensive testing done with brakes is meant to ensure against this problem.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 AM

Ciao a tutti

I'm writing from Italy. I saw that you have haven problems with your Mazda's handbrake.
I destroyd my Mazda 5 (Model Year 2010) a few months ago for the same problem.
I've been using your testimonies to go to a judge in Italy.
How did it end your story?
Please contact me at
andrea.capito@gmail.com

Thank a lot for your help and sorry for my english!!!!
Andrea

Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM

I glanced over the posts and did not see anyone detailing proper parking on a slope.

When parking uphill: get as close to the curb as possible and steer all the way towards the road. If the car rolls back the curbside wheel will hit the curb.
Put it in P or 1st gear. Pull the brake
When parking downhill: get as close to the curb as possible and steer all the way towards the curb. If the car rolls forward the curbside wheel will hit the curb. Put it in P or 1st gear. Pull the brake.

I had a Renault 4 rolling away backwards. I saw it happening and was able to jump in and stop it. My heart was pumping pretty good! It was a teachable moment for me. I hardly ever use the parking brake anymore. It's an E-brake for me.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Mazda usa are recalling Mazda3 and 6 due to a shaft in the caliper that can corrode and cause failure. Mazda Australia are washing their hands of it and we have been told that we are the first incident of handbrake failure thats been reported to them. I believe they are trying to cover up a fault. Hope we can get it dorted here before someone is hurt or killed.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by kenmaz
Has anyone else had or heard about handbrake failures on the 5. This afternoon my 5 parked on my sloped drive failed and my car rolled into my wifes car causing damage to both cars. I will be talking to my insurance company monday morning. I am sure that when i parked the car the handbrake was on, after all my drive being on a slope I have too.

Its strange I am hoping that this is a known fault.
HI,
I have had the same problem today on a 2018 Mazda MX5 - electric button handbrake!