Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

The dangers of side curatin airbags

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Default The dangers of side curatin airbags

I'm still in the evaluation phase of purchasing my MAzda 5, and in true "uber-geek" fashion I've downloaded the owners manul to get more familiar with the car before i purchase it. I've been reading the Child restraint section (chapter 2) did amy one besides me notice the waring that side curtain air bags if deployed can cause serious injury or death if your child is seated too close to the window!?!?!? during our test drive, we liked the fact that the second row are bucket seats and our son get his own window, but he can reach the window no matter how I adjust the seat.

How have you reconciled this issue, did you elect to purchase the model without side airbag support?? (sport or GS)

I couldn't get over how many times this was repeated in the manual!!!

Pierre

Old 04-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Default RE: The dangers of side curatin airbags

I would think its just a liability thing...theyre just making sure youre aware that airbags can hurt/kill you so you dont turn around and sue them if Jr. gets hurt. I would say your concern is valid, but whats worse, getting hit by a speeding bag of air, or smacking your face on the window or metal beams in the frame? (sorry if its graphic, but id take my chances with a speeding bag of air) If it really bothers you, i just wouldnt get the side curtain airbags...dont forget, buckle up.

just my 2 cents