Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

ABS/Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Default ABS/Airbags

I'm thinking of getting a 3, but the ABS and side-curtain airbags are a packge deal. I generally hate ABS, but safety's important... Are the side-curtain airbags good? How hard is it to set them off?

Also, what's the ABS like? My ex had an 02 (or whatever year they came out) 6, and I could never have a car with brakes like his.

Thank you!

Old 12-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Default RE: ABS/Airbags

The airbags only deploy when necessary, I wouldn't let that be a concern. They aren't easy to "set-off". It takes a very specific kind of accident for them to deploy. They are a nice safeguard against a side impact if you don't mind paying the premium for the option. (assuming they aren't roll-over curtains, at which point they only deploy in a roll-over.)

I have them on my wife's Mazda6 but not on my Mazda3

Old 12-06-2005, 10:50 PM

They are side impact and not rollovers. Who knows exactly how sensitive they are but they should not deploy unless are needed. Is it the ABS that you are not wanting in the package and if so why? What was the problem with you ex's 03 6? Generally you should never know you have ABS under any normal braking condition.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 AM

I don't know I wish my little 92 323 had ABS. The are a heck of a lot safer. I mean I had mine lock up on me. And since I am still a new dirver that really scared the crap out of me.

I mean on a wet road I love driving a car that has ABS. I mean I can't really tell that its there. If feels just normal. Except they don't lock up, or well they shouldn't.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:22 AM

OK... They're side impact, not rollover only, that's good.

I hated the feel of the brakes in my ex's car. They felt smushy. I'm used to Nissans, if anyone else has driven one, maybe they'd understand. My BF now hates the brakes in my car.

I've locked the wheels in my car before, when I first started driving and acted like the typical 17-yr-old. But I know how to deal with them, so I'd rather not have ABS if it means the brakes feel different. I still have to test-drive, so we'll see how I think the brakes feel on the 3. Just wondered about everyone's oppinions. If the feel doesn't bother me, I'll definately take it, in order to have the side-impact air bags.

Thank you!

Old 12-29-2005, 01:52 PM

Well..

yeah ABS will make your raking distance longer when you know how to break right.. however.. as was said once.. a good car can save your life in an accident, but ABS ca nsave your car.

I have the ABS/SAB package.. but did get it because of the SAB and Side Curtains.... there is no replacement for the little bit of air pillow between your head and the F250's grille pllowing through your door.

the SAB and SAC will deply =only in soecific situations.. and I believe here is no way to turn them off..

Lastly, the ABs comes with EBD and Brake Assist... I like both of those systems.. EBD uses the ABS sensors to detect which sheel(s) have the most traction and puts more power to that (those) wheels... unlike ABS that just maintains steerability... EBD actually increases your breaking power.
Brake Assist isa niftly little critter that detects when yo uare trying to make a panic stop and increases the breaking power to mkae you stop faster - appartently they found out that while we push the brake pedal quite fast in panic stops, we usually do not press hard enough.. so we do not stop as fast as we could.. BrakeAssist masically detects when we are panic-stopping and maximizes the force.

I think that package is worth every penny - I went through a bit of trouble finding a certified S with 5spd and this package.. but I found one afer all.

Igor

Old 01-02-2006, 09:37 AM

just to let you know i just bought my 3 about 2 months ago its an 05 im pretty sure i remember my salesman telling me that in the 06 abs and side impact airbags are no longer an option