Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Bike rack for mazda 5, and audio advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Default Bike rack for mazda 5, and audio advice

Hi People,
New member here please be gentle , i have had my Mazda 5 about two months now an 06 model and im really pleased, just a cuple of questions, is there a bike rack that is specifically made for the Mazda 5? i have had a look about and cant seem to locate one, so any help would be appreciated, also i have a cd player which is great but there doesnt seem to be anywhere for an mp3 facility to plug in anywhere or ipod, so im after any advice on that one too please, many thanks Tim

Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Ask your dealer. There are a range of official bike racks and possibilties, from towbar mounted, interior mounted and with or without roofbar mounts.

Plastic tailgates mean be careful. The towbat mounted one is the dearest and probably best option.

Later models have an aux in, or you can just go down the ipod and convertor route, to play your songs from your ipod.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 PM

I bought a Hollywood 4-bike rack that straps to the back hatch that was supposed to go on any van and when I received the rack I noticed in the extra fine print that it wasn't suitable for the Mazda 5. I tried it out on a short trip anyway and even with only 3 lightweight bikes on the rack the door didn't hold up. Although you have to look real hard to find it, it did bend the edge of the door slightly where the straps were attached. I would not recommend any type of rack that straps to the rear door.

I called Mazda about adding a hitch and they do not sell them at the dealer but I was able to get one from a shop. I was informed that only one type of hitch fits the Mazda 5 and it's a 1.5". After it was installed I got a really nice rack that can actually stay on the back of the van. It can be folded down out of the way of the rear hatch so you can open it. I just did the ultimate test of it and took a 3,000 mile road trip with 3 bikes securely attached to the back of my Mazda 5.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by debmo13
[...] I called Mazda about adding a hitch and they do not sell them at the dealer but I was able to get one from a shop. I was informed that only one type of hitch fits the Mazda 5 and it's a 1.5". After it was installed I got a really nice rack that can actually stay on the back of the van. It can be folded down out of the way of the rear hatch so you can open it. I just did the ultimate test of it and took a 3,000 mile road trip with 3 bikes securely attached to the back of my Mazda 5.
Can I ask what kind of hitch you bought, and what kind of bike rack? We just got our Mazda5 and are looking to do the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Try eTrailer.com (I saw an ad for them on a page on this forum)

Hidden Hitch model # 24773

I read on another forum that U-Haul sells/installs them.

There's also 1 or 2 others.

Try Googling Mazda 5 + hitches.

Video of install on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBwhjfCxHM&NR=1

Last edited by skiph; 07-23-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks!