Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Adjusting the Headlamp Beam for Continental Europe

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Default Adjusting the Headlamp Beam for Continental Europe

I've looked in the owner manual and under the bonnet at the Mazda 5 headlamps. I see no way to adjust by cam or lever to adjust the beam to use abroad (France etc.). Is this correct? If so does anyone know exactly where to 'stick' beam deflectors or black tape over lamp covers to not blind oncoming traffic. Or is it the 'old indian trick' of playing about at night on level ground close to wall with black tape and scissors and experimenting until the high light on left (triangular) on left has gone leaving just a flat symetric beam of light? I will be using heat proof (gold tape) as a base though, before it is pointed out the potential risk of damaging the plastic lens cover (while travelling this is not a problem as the wind will cool it).
I know there are cars that have levers or screw cams that adjust beam aim for abroad, but I don't see it on the Mazda 5 (cost I assume and I don't blame them to be honest).
I've added a picture. As you see there is a centre cross hair type mark on each lamp/lens cover and a ribbed or corrugated section too on the outside edge.

Attached Thumbnails Adjusting the Headlamp Beam for Continental Europe-p1020366.jpg  

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 05-21-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Default Problem solved, I answered my own question

Find enclosed the instructions for my beam benders. We use the centre 'dot' or 'pip' as a datum to fit deflectors.

Didn't load as doc is too big, forum limit 19k. I'll try to cut it down.
Better idea
http://www.saxon-products.com/downlo...erfitguide.pdf
and
http://www.saxon-products.com/downlo...nder-ultra.pdf

Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 AM

These links don't seem to be current.

I got a template on the Ford Website for my Mondeo, and made my own masks. Does anyone know if the Mazda Website has this facility?
I've just got my Mazda 5 TS2 D 2006 and this is my first post here but it seems to be a friendly place. My initial impressions of the car are good.
The tyre wear thread I've just scanned through - does that apply only to the "Sport"?

Old 02-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Ah! Yes maybe the company went out of business or they no longer sell the beam benders. I did e-mail mazda uk about the lights....but as usual their Customer support are basically of no use at all except that they have to provide this service to comply with UK law maybe. You know...'we have a dedicated Customer Service department and we take al safety concerns serious ....' blah blah blah!.
Any way... Yes the front tyre inner edge wear is only on the UK SPORT versions. I have given up and will get a new car from a different manufacturer next year when the lease is up. I suggest you only get the Sport on lease and let the lease company pick up the tab for the front tyres. When you show them the pictures of the wear. They will soon realise that the sport is a risk and it will be dropped from offers of leasing.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM

Thank you GSX, will bear that in mind.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:09 AM

Nice spam Yellowstone.

I called Mazda UK to find out how to convert my Xenons for Continental driving. I was hoping they would just tell me to cover up the dimply bits on the lens. But all the lady was interested in saying was "Travel Spot".

Travel Spot must be one of their pet companies and they supply these:

http://www.travel-spot.co.uk/products/eurolites.htm

They state this in their guff:

"
Eurolites are the market leading product, and are the ONLY product to carry extra, ‘specific’ instructions for the latest ‘clear lens’, ‘projector’ and 'xenon' headlamps from ALL leading car manufactures, over 300 vehicles!

Available for right-hand drive vehicles visiting the continent and for left-hand drive vehicles visiting the UK."

I'll buy a set to see if there's specific instructions.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Default Lever to switch headlights for europe

Hi, I have a lever inside my lights that dips the beam for euro driving.
You have to remove the cover at the rear of the dip beam and inside on one side of the bulb housing there is a lever..it moves up and down switching the beam.
What I am not sure about is if euro headlights are actually different from UK headlights...it seams the beam gets blocked but odesnt go the opposite way for illuminating the r/h side of the road...I have a set of headlights bought from Germany but havent fitted them yet as it seems a lot of work removing the units..Does nayone know if the parts are identical..if so, my headlights just need adjusting properly once I have the lever switched.
Hope this helps people and someone can answer my question.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:17 AM

Only the UK has to have head lights, as standard, biased to the left. So UK cars abroad need the 'benders'. But any other car in the world is fine in the UK as the lights in the rest of the world are basically straight ahead.
That was my understanding many years ago.
If you want I can try to scan in the instructions from the 'benders' I used when I went to europe last year if I can find them. I found the normal adhesive no good and used clear silicon sealant (as a bead around the perimeter of the cover) to attach. I removed by using some chemicals I have, for example 'sticky stuff remover' or the cheaper and easier, in this case, petrol to remove the sealant from the plastic lens on the Mazda 5.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 AM

Ok, I have now fitted the german lights and they do light up the r/h side more. As in the UK ones light up the left, the euro versions light up the right...so, the lever only serves to stop the dazzle to the oncoming traffic when using the car on the other side of the road, and not as a complete solution. Typical really, Q.why do car manufacturers make things so difficult when it comes to interchanging parts A. to sell more parts and make more money!