Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Winter tires and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Winter tires and wheels

If you have an MS3 (I can't remember exactly what model you have) the 16's won't fit over the calipers. If an n/a3 they will fit.

Is it still the thinking that a skinnier snow tire (longer tire patch) is preferred over a wider tire?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:54 AM

You definitely want the skinnier tire for snow. I am running 205/50R17 Dunlop Wintersports on my wife's 6 and they cut through the snow like butter. A wider tire wants to float on top of the snow rather than cut through it.

LordChris.....the link I provided was for 16" steel wheels and Bridgestone Blizzaks for $620....I wouldn't buy tires at a car dealership, they'll mark them up significantly. Tirerack.com seems to be the best deal for wheel/tire combos and, you never know, Canadian Tire might price match (Here in Michigan we have Belle Tire and they matched tirerack's price on the Wintersports for me.)

Old 10-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

You definitely want the skinnier tire for snow. I am running 205/50R17 Dunlop Wintersports on my wife's 6 and they cut through the snow like butter. A wider tire wants to float on top of the snow rather than cut through it.

LordChris.....the link I provided was for 16" steel wheels and Bridgestone Blizzaks for $620....I wouldn't buy tires at a car dealership, they'll mark them up significantly. Tirerack.com seems to be the best deal for wheel/tire combos and, you never know, Canadian Tire might price match (Here in Michigan we have Belle Tire and they matched tirerack's price on the Wintersports for me.)
Well then, I guess some things never change.

And Chris, +1 to SST on his suggestion to not buy tires from the dealer. Ask them for a quote, maybe, but do your own research before buying.
Just my .02.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 AM

Oh I always research. That is good advice. I like tireracks website, but I am leary buying something that large over the internet. And, I am not sure they ship to Canada.

I will most definatly be shopping around. I had read a post somewhere that not all 16's will fit. I have 16's now. Sedan GX with sunroof. The ones from the dealer should fit. They probably use the steel wheels from the base model.

I would prefer 15's and a 195 width. (For winters only) Everyone's correct on the tire width. The skinnier the better. My 95 Swift had 155/80R13. Those mothers were true pizza cutters. I enjoyed passing the SUV's on the highway in heavy snow.

I think I could go with the "Standard" tire size on the GS modle without effecting the speedo. 15's are cheaper than 16's

Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 AM

how about if i jsut put all season tires on my ms3 rims? cheaper? easier? oh and virgin, I AM NOT HERE FOR YOUR AMUSEMENT!!! lol j/k

Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

OH YES YOU ARE!!!

You enjoy it, just like as much I do and you know it.

how about if i just put all season tires on my ms3 rims?
In New York? Well...? You're rims will still have to take the abuse that road salt hands out, but it would be cheaper.
Again, if you decide to go that route, I would choose the thinnest, tallest tire I could to match the OE diameter/circumference.
That link can be very useful helping you choose the right size.
And again, just my .02.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 AM

well, i've checked tirerack.com $624 for a set of wheels and tires isnt bad at all. only thing bothering me is that the wheels are gonna be steelie ugly wheels that ppl look at and go "your hubcabs fell off".. i guess ill have to deal with it.. unless i can find decent rims that i wouldnt mind beating up for the winter.. nebody know any such place? and virgin, dont say "the fairy world of wheels and tires.. that cost $1500"!!!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hey! $624 doesn't sound bad. And they'll be mounted and balanced, ready to install when you get them.. The only problem could be storing your other wheels over the winter.
You could always get some AM (full) wheels covers pretty cheap some where. (JCWhitney, AutoZone, or my favoritemoney grubbing corporation... Wal-Mart.)

Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM

i can store my wheels in my backyard under this canopy thing i have. it should be ok right? would they deflate after a long winter? also, what does AM stand for?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I'd put a tarp over/around them. Tie it off with a bungee cord. And yes, alloys lose pressure over time anyway... winter or summer. Aluminum is porous.
AM = Aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Winter tires and wheels