Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Winter tires and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Default Winter tires and wheels

any suggestions on either what type of tires or set of wheels for this coming up winter? i kno wheels tend to get damaged during the winter because of road salts and whatnot. how much am i going to be spending on 4 wheels and winter tires?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Winter tires and wheels

$1200!

Well, you DID ask for a guess/estimate, didn't you?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 PM

what?!?!?! thats not an estimate! thats a down payment on another car!...i guess i only own the wheels on car right now until i pay fof everything else.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Pick up some used 17" stock Mazda6 wheels (they'll fit fine) and put some snow tires on them.

Or you can get wheel/tire packages through tirerack.com for quite a bit less than $1200. In fact about a wheel/tire pkg can be had for around $600

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp

Old 10-10-2007, 06:41 PM

1200 daaaaamn thats alot of money lol. i want to get new rims and tires for my car buut i have found out my parents have not changed theirs before and it turned out really well. ahhh well ill figure it out

Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Ah. Youwant Mazda6 alloys with your snow/winter tires?

$1500!!!

And cheap at twice the price too.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 PM

I picked up a set cheap off of a friend that got new wheels for his car. I didn't recommend buying them new. It's a good strong wheel (as evidenced by the weight) and looks nice on the 3.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I've seen them "gently used" for a fairly good price too, and was considering that switch for mine At one point. If it hadn't been for the extra weight I might've done it too. But for a winter wheel, sure! Why not?

Iwas just givin' ole' SPeeDy here a hard time that's all. W/O specific wheels/tires in mind, it's kinda' hard to answer his original question. Rather subjective, if you know what I mean? Besides, he's been making us all laugh on some other threads.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Y'know SPeeDy, you might do just as well or better getting a set of cheap AM alloys, like some of the ones on eBay for $299/set. Just make sure that they have at least a +45mm offset.
I would still look for 17's as they will afford a tire w/a taller sidewall and probably a cheaper tire too.
Here's a tire conversion calculator link I keep handy for converting tires sizes: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

IIRC, the stock size is 215/45x18, right? If so, a 205/55x17 is a pretty good fit (speedo reads 0.66 mph lower @ 65than actual speed) and will continue to fill out your wheel wells as if they were the 18's too. A 195/55 isn't too bad either, but going the other way (speedo reading < 0.5 mph higher than your actual ground speed.) A narrower tire is usually a good idea if you get a lot of snow and/or drive a lot too.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 AM

I was surprised that my dealer handled winter tires. Usually car dealers don't do that. Too much warranty bs and not a big profit margin.
900 to 1000 will get me 4 16" steel wheels with decent winter rubber. I might go that way, course I might just go to Canadian Tire. It's been 25 to 30' celcius up here in Canada. Unheard of, but, with global warming, we may never get snow again. (Soon, maybe looking into getting pontoons for car, instead of wheels)

Definitly want steel wheels. Salt and sh&t wreak havok on these alum rims. Pit and what not.

Too bad I am broke.
Just had to buy a whole new computer system. Mine was fried. Lost all my info as well. But, that's another story on another forum......[:@]

Quick Reply: Winter tires and wheels