Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Winshield freezing up on the "inside"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Default Winshield freezing up on the "inside"

Another odd occurance. Has only happened twice so far. The inner part of the driver's side windshield freezes up. Like frost. The outside of the windshield is clear. This has only happened twice so far this winter. I was thinking of the seal, but where would the water come in from. Nothing is melting. It's averaged about -8 so far this winter.

Any thoughts.

2007 m3 sedan with moonroof.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Winshield freezing up on the "inside"

The leaky windshield seal would make the most sense that I know of.You don't say where it's freezing up, but if you haven't noticed any other leaks (water,) I'd have to guessthe bottom of the seal is compromised.
Is the freeze up V shaped? If so it should be easier to figure outI would think.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM

I believe it is V-shaped. Where the biggest part of the v is right in my line of sight. I should call the dealer and see if this is common on this car. (around here, when cold out) I don't want to leave it overnight 3 or 4 times for them to see it. If I can remember, I will take a picture.
It has only happend twice thus far.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Default RE: Winshield freezing up on the

did this happen overnight when temp is below freezing? do you leave the car outside when this happens?
It happened to me once back in Sept, but that was because I turned on A/C without knowing (temp dial at the coldest mark, A/C turns on automatically).

________
WELLBUTRIN INJURY LAWYER

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 PM

omg, this is the biggest pain in the **** ever!!

your half asleep, and you go to scrape off your windsheild, then your like, wtf? god dammit, i hate winter!!

then you have to let your car sit there for 5 minutes until enough of the frost melts.

i tihnk i've had this happen to me, i dunno, a couple dozen times now?? i had my rear one frost up on the inside a bit today while my car was parked.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 PM

I would try cracking your windows when you park for the night, to allow whatever moisture is inside the car to evaporate. In winter, humidity tends to be quite low, evaporation happens quickly. Having the windows cracked will give the moisture in your car's interiora path to escape.

On a related note, scientists at MIT have developed a hydrophilicitic nanoparticle coating that prevents window fogging. In english, the particles preventwater molecules fromcomingling to a sufficient mass to become condensate (orfog).MIT is negotiating with various companies, andthe expectation is fogfree windshields will be on themarket within a couple of years.

So, somedaythere couldbe a generation of drivers who will have no idea why older cars needed defrost. You can be the old fart who tells them what it was like back on the day.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 AM

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

I would try cracking your windows when you park for the night, to allow whatever moisture is inside the car to evaporate. In winter, humidity tends to be quite low, evaporation happens quickly. Having the windows cracked will give the moisture in your car's interiora path to escape.
i tried that once. it made the problem even worse somehow

Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 AM

Thanks UB.

No, it's not an overnight thing. Happend while I am at work. It's the weirdest thing.

What I cannot understand is why they don't put a small "electric" heater in cars for the defrost. Same as the small ones you plug in. Electric heat is instantanious and would clear the windsheild really quick. Then, when the car is warmed up, it couldswitch back to the coolant heater system. You would not need the heater lines (defrost), engineers could hook up the heater under the dash. How expensive would that be. SST any comments?

For the envirments sake, most would start driving right away and not warm up their cars in the driveway.

Kind of like when minivans came out with the double doors. I said "I can't believe it took them this long to figure out"