Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 Beep/Chime Codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Default Mazda3 Beep/Chime Codes

Hi,
My 2005 Mazda3 is making a chiming noise when I drive on the highway. Does anyone know how to decode the chimes?
I'm getting 3 "chimes" - I couldn't reproduce the noise type with the seatbelt warning, key in the ignition with the door open, or the headlight warning.
The sound is definitely more of a "chime" than a "beep," and it happens 3 times in a row. Also, there is no warning light coming on. The sound is also louder/softer depending on my speed. It doesn't have the "pull over now" urgency about it, but more of a minor warning. Does the Mazda 3 make a noise when the fuel is low? I wasn't, but perhaps the sensor was off.

It has only happened to us while driving on the AutoBahn (in Germany), and only at random times (as far as I can tell). We brought the car over when we moved here for work, and the only modification was in the headlights, fog lights, and brake lights.

On a positive note, it's fun to drive on the autobahn!

If anyone has a reference for the beeps, or some suggestions to try to narrow down the problem, please let me know!

Cheers,
RichHan

Old 12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mazda3 Beep/Chime Codes

Hmmm, first time I've heard of this. Incidentally how fast were you going when it did it?

Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Anew one on me too. Could it be that it wasn't an actualchime but two pieces of metal clanging together??? Perhaps a broken motor mount?

Or perhaps, two beer glasses? [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-06-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the quick posts! I wish it were beer glasses! The German beer has lived up to the reputation! The dark wheat beer is soooo good.

I wasn't doing anything crazy on the autobahn, in fact, there was a bit of traffic, so I didn't really get over 80MPH. It happened at varying speeds, but only after having driven on the expressway. I'd guess something to do with properly warming her up. I dirve about 10 minutes to work, in the city, and it never happens then.

It was definitely a chime - 3 in a row, seemingly as part of a sequence. And definitely not a "beep". My wife heard it a few times, and I had a co-worker in the car when it happened. He groveled through the owner's manual and couldn't figure out what it was. I wanna say it sound like an old school "door's open and the car's running" in my mom's chevy station wagon - ding...ding...ding..., but who knows if I'm remembering that right.

I _think_ it came from the steering wheel, but it's hard to know for sure. I drove for about 2.5 hours each way, and it happend much more during the day than at night on the way back. I thought it had something to do with changing lanes, or hitting the brakes, but there wasn't any strong correlation. It also happened a few times while on the highway-change ramps. That's when I noticed the volume was quite a bit lower when at lower speeds.
A few times it happened relatively quickly (lik within a minute or two), but other times it wouldn't happen for an hour. I checked all the fluids once I got to where I was going, and the power steering, oil, coolant, and brake fluid all looked good. The oil is freshly changed and looks like honey.

I called the Mazda dealer we bought it from back in the States, and he didn't have a guess. We'll try to get it to the dealer out here soon to check it out, since it's pretty annoying. Our German is non-existant, so it'll be fun to try to communicate what's going on, when it's so hard to reproduce. In fact, it very well could be coming from the audio system I guess.

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Man... I don't have a clue.As I'd said before, never heard of that one.
Does your wife weigh less than 120 lbs? Could it have to do with the passenger side air bag warning?
I am not aware of any chime in the Mazda3, HB or sedan. I get that annoying beep, beep, beep every day after checking for mail when I don't fasten my seatbelt and back down our100' driveway, but,...?

Wish I could help you narrow it down more. Sorry.

So, why are you inde "fatherland" (I am like 95% from German descent) if you are from here?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM

V1..................What's the other 5%.

I mean I am of German/English desent.

(Yes, I drink the occasional tea and sometimescomtimplatehow I can take over the world)

On another note: Sounds like the seatbelt chime. Maybe, when driving so fast (80mph-fast) the connection to the sensor in the belt connector is loose.

(No Pinky, today it's Mazda, tomorrow.................the world)

That is an awsome "one liner"
"So, is your wife under 120 pounds...............hmmm."

Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM

anyone know how the tire pressure warning sounds like? could it be that?
________
Aurora40GG live

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

There's a good thought, Win!
Do they (TPMS) have a chime warning? Do you, richhan,even own a GT?

I asked about her weight because the air bag system shifts into low gear if there is someone (or something) in the seat, but they weigh less than 120.

The other +/-5% is French.

I like yourPinky and the Brain reference too, LCS.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM

I have a 3i touring, not GT, it has TPMS, have not shown any warning so far.
For the airbag warning, I put two backpacks there the other day, the light came on, but no sound.

I wonder how many generations do you have to go by to have 5% French? ;-)

________
Medical marijuana

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Just to suggest an easy answer to your problem. Any chance your keys are clanking together and making the "chime". I've had keys do that before and it confused the hell out of me.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 Beep/Chime Codes