Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

What's the best OBD2 scanner for Mazda?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:47 AM

There are a couple of iCarsoft and Launch scanners mentioned in this article, that will reset the srs, abs, transmission codes and cost less than $200.

The thing is that by saving one trip to the mechanic, the scanner pays for itself.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:43 AM

Hello everyone. I am looking for cheap OBD2 Scanner (Under 40 bucks will be great). Which brand and which model will be suitable for that price? Although, I am seeing in the effective guide website top 5 lists. But, I do not want to buy any junk product. If i get any quality scanner name then i may increase my budget.

Last edited by luanabkates; 06-05-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:04 AM

I currently have a ScangaugeII installed in the car. It's neat, but I want to learn more about the engine parameters (the refresh rate is slow, so it's hard to see what's going on in real time during transient events), as well as be able to log data, in preparation for my turbo in the near future.

The cheap option on my list is a bluetooth OBDII interface ($24 on Amazon) https://10carbest.com/best-obd2-scanner and the Torque app for Android ($5). It seems this option would do ~60% (?) of what I want, and for a total price of 30 bucks, I may just grab one and start poking around and logging stuff to see what's going on with the stock engine.

One option is ScanXL (or ScanXL Pro) for $90 (or $130), plus maybe the Mazda specific add-on ($75) if you want access to specific stuff like ABS ECUs, etc.

I was looking at MazdaEdit software:
http://www.epifansoft.com/mazdaEdit-...ns-prices.html

The mazdaEdit software appears to be the most powerful and fully featured option without a doubt, but also most expensive.

Talking to Joe from Dynotronics, he says that buying a tune from him basically gets you a copy of mazdaEdit. My understanding of how he described it to me is that he basically uses mazdaEdit for his tuning, and when he sells the tune to a customer, the tune is installed using mazdaEdit software that is licensed to the customer with the purchase of the tune (Joe buys mazdaEdit licenses in bulk, he's not pirating the software). The version of mazdaEdit that comes with a tune is slightly different than the off-the-shelf version, as it is designed to "hide" some particular unique aspects of how Joe does his tuning trickery (understandable, as that's his trade secret that makes him money) but still has the ability to edit tables and all the data and logging capabilities of the stock software.

So at this point I'm looking to buy the Dynotronics tune sooner rather than later, since learning that buying a tune will also get me the editing software and ability to datalog. I may still buy the bluetoothOBDII interface and the Torque app, since I don't plan to have the laptop in the car 100% of the time. Having the BT adapter and the app on my phone would let me connect and read codes and/or log data whenever and wherever, and could be worth the $30.
There are a lot of cool YouTube videos on this subject. Good Luck

Last edited by Zanaro; 10-29-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:56 AM

Your question is asking for a high end user mostly by Auto Technicians. and there are no inexpensive Diagnostic tools for all you wish you access.The main reason why you will not see these in most Dignostic tools is that the require a greater experience level generally from having credentials like ASE or Dealer Auto Tech certifications or attending some auto diagnostic class to learn how to repair those vital area's of a vehicle . That said the Diagnostic choice for me for all asked to view is a Snap-On Solus. I paid $2000 and additional 400 for all the modules. Updates are still available and cost range are 100-175.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Default FORScan

If you already have the bluetooth OBDii reader, you might try FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html - I recently came across that while trying to find something to help diagnose random morning alarm system activation (it's for Ford and Mazda vehicles). I believe it has the various additional modules you want (ABS, SRS). They have a complete list of the modules here: https://forscan.org/modules_list.html . And, no, I don't work for FORScan, just thought you might find it useful.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:17 PM

Can I bump this... its 2022 almost 2023 in a few months.
I am looking for an OBD2 Scanner for a 2015 and a 2017 Mazda 3 ( not that there should be huge difference there, but I got two Mazdas to deal with.)

Old 10-04-2022, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DeadFish
Can I bump this... its 2022 almost 2023 in a few months.
I am looking for an OBD2 Scanner for a 2015 and a 2017 Mazda 3 ( not that there should be huge difference there, but I got two Mazdas to deal with.)
What do you want to be able to do/achieve? This will dictate what level & cost you require.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:14 PM

I guess something similar to Techstream for Toyota cars, since thats my only experience with code readers.

Not sure if its true or not - Mazda doesn't play well with many, many code readers.

A code reader that can tell me the error codes in a logical format and easy to read quickly - that I dont have to remember another code to remember how this code reader is spitting out what its putting on the screen.. that makes no sense? like I dont want some dumb code reader for example:
The Rainbow colored ones are current codes, but the ones with the blue border are pending error codes, the triangle yellow icons mean something else - completely unimportant. All while having a terrible button system to navigate horribly.

I have no experience with bluetooth odb2 readers and apps that work with them. So I dont know whats overkill or just complete horse**** wrapped up in a tuxedo.

Old 11-09-2023, 11:20 AM

I have an obdlink MX+ that I paired with FORscan lite on my mazda 5. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it get's you a lot of access. Able to read all of the DTCs and you can even stream some live data from the car albeit only one module at a time on the app. The MX+ is expensive but I believe I got mine on sale for ~$80 and it has worked on 5+ different cars now.

Also currently testing out a couple other apps and will try to update if any of them are better than FORscan lite

Old 11-09-2023, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: What's the best OBD2 scanner for Mazda?