Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

What does (!) mean in my 08 Mazda 3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Default What does (!) mean in my 08 Mazda 3?

What does (!) in yellow mean in my 08 Mazda 3?

It came on about a month ago, the first time it came on I went and put air in my tire and it went off. Like a day later it came back on, I went to discount and they said my tire sensor was broke. So I ordered a new one for $55 bucks and my light still didnt go off. I have been driving on it for a while and now when I first start my car the light flashes on and off for like 5 minuts, then it stays on.

Plz help =]

Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

In my '04 the (!) means that the parking brake is on and is in red. But then again, I do not have the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that is required in any car built for '08 and beyond.
First I would check to see if the parking brake is on, even a little. Make sure the handle is all the way down against the switch.
Second, TPMS sensors need to be united w/the electronic control unit (ECU) that sees them. If Discount Tire did not "tell" the system that there is a new sensor in a specific tire (LF, RF, LR, or RR,) it may be reacting to that. I know the procedure is simple but do not know what it is w/o doing some research about it.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by DanielleRex
What does (!) in yellow mean in my 08 Mazda 3?

It came on about a month ago, the first time it came on I went and put air in my tire and it went off. Like a day later it came back on, I went to discount and they said my tire sensor was broke. So I ordered a new one for $55 bucks and my light still didnt go off. I have been driving on it for a while and now when I first start my car the light flashes on and off for like 5 minuts, then it stays on.

Plz help =]
When you replace a TPMS sensor the system must recognize that its there, just because its replaced does not mean that the problem is solved, the system must go through a "refresh" state which may have to be done by a dealership.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 PM

I never checked to see if the spare had a sensor on it, but on a Toyota it does and my wife's Rav4 that was the low tire.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:29 PM

it might if its a full sized spare, if not just make sure u dont brake the org

Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM

Is the '!' inside a tire, with a steering wheel, or say BRAKE under it? Since you said yellow then it shouldn't be the one with BRAKE. I'm just assuming it is the one inside the tire since you're messing with the sensors.
The spare is a donut and as far as I know there is no sensor in it. You could have a bad or leaking sensor on a tire. You could have low pressure in your tires. Or you could have one or a combination of tires that have different air pressures in them enough that it thinks one is flat. Put 40 psi in all of the tires and see if it doesn't go off.