Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

What Costs to Expect

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Hello the Mazda is great. I have an 2008 S touring it has over 94000 miles on it I have had no issues. I have only had to due regular service, changed the tires once, and brakes once. Other than that I've done cosmetic upgrades that I wanted.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:51 AM

on both our 1999 millenia 2.3's, one at 155k, the other at 150k, the pcv has never been changed. they are removed and cleaned. both are still on the original thermostat. both cars have supercharger, which is much harder on a pcv than normal aspirated. both have never had the transmission pan dropped. however, both have synthetic oil, one since new. both get transmission fluid changed yearly, and a bottle of lubegard, i like the valvoline dex/merc himileage(red bottle), which is synthetic base. both get at least yearly coolant flush, and redline water wetter. i have been thru at least 3 radiators on each car. i flush brake fluid yearly, and i suck out/refill the power steering reservoir every time i change oil, which is not the idiot 3k like the dealer wants, but somewhere between 5 and 7 k. i dont think it is the part's fault, i think it is the maintenance, or lack thereof. i worked at a bmw dealer and an independent shop for years. surprisingly, the cars serviced at the dealer seemed to be the worse, even tho maintenance is free. the best ones were at the independent shops, the owners there for the most part maintained their cars a lot better.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Apart from all this I just have one question for the OP: Are you sure you want to buy a former rental or fleet car?
It's been driven by perhaps hundreds of people before you. All with different driving styles and knowledge of how to drive.
It may have been, and likely was abused.
It may have seen accidents that won't show up on a CarFax report because many of those companies self-insure to save money, so it never got reported.
Are you sure you want to buy a fleet/rental car?

Old 05-29-2014, 02:22 PM

what he^^ said. when the dealer has a used/lease rtn car going to the used car lot, we had to get the cheapest(aftermarket if possible) parts, oil/air/transmission filter, stuff like that. no genuine parts if possible. the few used car lot cars i saw at the independent were pretty much beat up beyond their years, minimal maintenance

Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Apart from all this I just have one question for the OP: Are you sure you want to buy a former rental or fleet car?
It's been driven by perhaps hundreds of people before you. All with different driving styles and knowledge of how to drive.
It may have been, and likely was abused.
It may have seen accidents that won't show up on a CarFax report because many of those companies self-insure to save money, so it never got reported.
Are you sure you want to buy a fleet/rental car?
It's not the top of my list but if the price is right and my personal mechanic checks it out, I would have no problems w/ it. Preferred method of purchase is dealer, personal, rental/fleet in that order.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM

And thanks to everyone for all the responses. Good reading on this stuff from someone who has only owned Toyotas and Hondas.