Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

What Costs to Expect

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Default What Costs to Expect

Greetings everyone. This is my first post here for good reason. I am looking to get a 2012/2013 iTouring hatchback in the next couple months. Read some awesome things about them and pending a horrid test drive, I think it will be my next car. I love the MPG seeing how I commute 70 MPD round trip.

Here is my potential debacle:

The car I am looking at was a rental prior (big question mark to begin w/). It is at a reputable dealer now but the car itself is a 2012 w/ 60+k miles on it already.

I have searched long and wide for answers, trying not to create an account here, but I cannot find what I am looking for.

Could someone please provide me some common benchmarks for upcoming maintenance on this vehicle?? Or maybe just recommended benchmarks in general? I am trying to figure out pricing strategy for going in and if there are future big item fixes needed, that will greatly affect my top dollar.

Not only do I feel this would benefit me but I think others might enjoy this info also

If there is a section for this and I missed it, if a MOD could relocate this to the proper forum and advise me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Banned

Change spark plugs, PCV valve, air filter, cabin air filter.
Clean: egr valve, throttle body, MAF sensor.
Flush and fill: brake fluid, coolant, tranny fluid, power steering fluid.
Inspect brakes, tires, exhaust.

Do not let them miss anything!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Change spark plugs, PCV valve, air filter, cabin air filter.
Clean: egr valve, throttle body, MAF sensor.
Flush and fill: brake fluid, coolant, tranny fluid, power steering fluid.
Inspect brakes, tires, exhaust.

Do not let them miss anything!
This is good info. I was planning on some of these but when I do purchase, I will make sure to obtain a list of all items they checked.

Any knowledge on when to expect big name maintenance to occur (timing belt, water pump, brakes, etc etc)?? This is what I'm most concerned about. I didn't want to pay X amount for a car knowing that a good percentage of that cost will be needed a few years down the line when I'm still paying it off.

I have had a Toyota and currently own a Honda so I am aware of their's but Mazda is new to me which is why I was coming here to ask you fine people

Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mookie3041
Any knowledge on when to expect big name maintenance to occur (timing belt, water pump, brakes, etc etc)?? This is what I'm most concerned about. I didn't want to pay X amount for a car knowing that a good percentage of that cost will be needed a few years down the line when I'm still paying it off.
Have no clue. Hopefully someone with a similar vehicle can help with this.

Brakes are varied depending on how much city driving and if person was doing some Zoom Zoom. Need to be inspected. Brake maintenance should be done every 2 years as a service to free/grease sliders etc.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 03-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 PM

Good news, mazda doesn't have a belt but a chain that will probably outlast rest of the engine. Condition should be checked at some point though.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Check that its been fully serviced every 6,000 miles or 6 months as per manufactures specs. request proof of full servicing. Getting the oil changed is not a full service.

60,000 miles should be manual gearbox oil.
72,000 miles should be spark plugs, air filter, pollen filter, brake fluid.
90,000 miles should be fuel filter/pump assembly.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Smau
Good news, mazda doesn't have a belt but a chain that will probably outlast rest of the engine. Condition should be checked at some point though.
Wow, really?? That's awesome news. My car now is a 2001 so I've been out of the loop as far as technology goes.

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Check that its been fully serviced every 6,000 miles or 6 months as per manufactures specs. request proof of full servicing. Getting the oil changed is not a full service.

60,000 miles should be manual gearbox oil.
72,000 miles should be spark plugs, air filter, pollen filter, brake fluid.
90,000 miles should be fuel filter/pump assembly.
This is also very, very good info. Thanks, Grim!

I know that these newer year vehicles take synthetic oil which goes beyond the traditional 3k or 3 month change. I drive ~20k a year and 85% of that will be highway. What would you (or anyone) suggest is the oil change timeline??

Thanks again for the info. This is all great!!

Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Follow mazda's recomendations and you cant go wrong.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Generally that's what I do but I know at times, manufacturers (at least in my experience) tell you something when you can get away w/ a little more so you are spending more money hopefully at their dealerships. I dunno, just thought I'd see what others are doing.

Regardless, thanks for the info. I'm gonna continue to look around here for more things.

Thanks again

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Banned

Except for the PCV valve, Mazda NEVER checks it on most Mazda's.
This is one of my pet peeves with Mazda, as well as tranny fluid. A PCV can't last 160,000 km! It's made of plastic and a small valve. As a matter of fact some cars don't even have a PCV anymore, but rather just a small hole that can get clogged up. Either way, change it, unclog it.
Attached is a service schedule for the 2006's. The only PCV valve to check is the Tribute 3.0 litre @ 160,000? What about the Mazda 6 3.0 litre --- this is my car and i know it has a PCV valve, why only change the Tribute one? The 4 cylinders have one as well.
In ancient times the PCV valve was changed YEARLY! Now it's just stupid. I change mine every 2-3 years depending on mileage!

Attached Thumbnails What Costs to Expect-mazdaserviceschedule.jpg  

Quick Reply: What Costs to Expect