Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Weird idle hunting 06 mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:50 AM
Default Weird idle hunting 06 mazda3

Just to start, no it's not the throttle body, yes I've taken it off the car and cleaned both sides, yes I've disconnected the battery and gone through the relearn drive cycle, no there isn't a vacuum leak, I have checked, no I don't have a stock intake or intake manifold the former is an Short ram the latter is the weapon r intake, no the fuel trims aren't out of whack, actually they are almost perfect, no the maf isn't dirty, or malfunctioning, yes the map is working just fine too, no the a/f ratio sensor isn't faulty, it's brand new, (better work, dammit cost me 170 damn dollars, screw you California emissions)

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here the issue. Whenever there is an electrical load above a certain amperage(I think, not sure) such as turning the steering wheel while not moving, the brights on, the a/c on, or, at the same time, the blower motor on, the blinkers on, and normal headlights on, the engine will hunt up and down, about plus or minus 250 rpm from 650 rpm(its a five speed, thus the lower idle speed). Occasionally it will also just outright stall. Battery has tested good, so has the alternaTor. All the grounds look allright, none of the wiring looks frayed. Now the reason I know it is a load issue is it will happily idle all day long at 650 rpm, not budging an inch, at all. Believe me I left it idling for about four hours one day while I puttered about the shop, monitoring the idle on a wireless obd2 reader. Didn't surge once. As soon as I turned the steering wheel to move the car, four hours in, it surged, fell surged fell and stalled. Restarted it, back to happily idling at 650 for another hour, turned the brights on, surge central. Turned the brights off, back to 650. Turned the a/c on, hunting all over the place, turned it off, one big surge up to 1200 or so, stall. Repaetable at anytime, imstant, Everytime it works. I am totally confused as to why this is happening. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Bump. I really need an answer to this it's driving me insane.