Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Unlocking doors without the key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Default Unlocking doors without the key fob?

Hello Mazda owners. My son purchased a 2015 Mazda 3, 4 door sport sedan back in May of this year.

I was wondering how people owning this vehicle unlock the door(s) when approaching the vehicle?
Do you use the key fob by pressing the button?

Or can you do the same thing I can do on my 2015 Ford Escape and just put your hand between the door handle and the body of the car (like if you were grabbing the door handle to open the door), and the doors unlock?

This probably seems like a strange question and you're probably wondering, "Why don't I just ask my son this question?" Right??!!??

I'm doing research on things to get him for xmas for his new car, like a remote car starter, and I was wondering if the remote starter installed would disable that feature-(unlocking the car without using the key fob).

I won't be getting him the OEM remote car starter from Mazda as it's just too expensive, in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks for any help you Mazda 3 owner's can provide me.
Sincerely,
Steve in Central Vermont

Old 11-11-2015, 06:29 PM

If the car the keyless locking system, you unlock/open the door with the electronic keyfob in your pocket/bag and pressing the small black unlock request rubber button on the outer surface of the driver or front passenger car doors.
you can also unlock the car by pressing the unlock button on the remote fob, but I find it more convenient to just press the small black button to do so, as I do not have to get my key fob out of my pocket or bag. As for integrating an aftermarket remote starter. I think it might be complicated or not possible in some cases, as the Mazda remote locking system might not prpoerly inerface with a remote starter. the Mazda system requires that you have the key fob inside the car to start it (with the push button starter). The Mazda remote started must somehow override that system someway by a signal from outside the car. I'm not sure if aftermarket systems can do that.....

Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 AM

You might want to get him a third key in case he loses a key that way he has two key which will allow him to program another third key. Basic transponder keys on ebay less than $17 for two.

Having the dealer program a key is costly. All you need are two unique transponder ID Keys and you can do it yourself in less than 5 minutes.

2 Transponder Chip Ignition Key Uncut 4D 63 for Mazda 2 3 5 6 CX7 CX9 MX5 RX8 | eBay

Don't start the car until after you have programed the new key.

First get the key cut then Start by placing 1st original key into the ignition turn it to on wait 5 seconds until the transponder red light goes out take key out place 2nd original key in turn it on wait for red transponder light to go out. Remove key and take New Key put it into the ignition and wait for the red transponder light to go out. Remove key and try starting the car with the new key.

Last edited by GEEBOSS; 11-20-2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: steps to do
Old 11-28-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by GEEBOSS
You might want to get him a third key in case he loses a key that way he has two key which will allow him to program another third key. Basic transponder keys on ebay less than $17 for two.

Having the dealer program a key is costly. All you need are two unique transponder ID Keys and you can do it yourself in less than 5 minutes.

2 Transponder Chip Ignition Key Uncut 4D 63 for Mazda 2 3 5 6 CX7 CX9 MX5 RX8 | eBay

Those keys appear to be for older models. The 2015 has a keyless remote fob.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Default Remote locking

Hi. I have a 2015 165skyactiv when I walk away the car locks itself which is perfect.

But

What happens if there are passengers in the car and I walk and the car locks and activates the alarm etc.

Stunning car.