Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Digital odometer stays on without key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Default Digital odometer stays on without key in ignition

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} I have a 2002 Tribute ES V6 Automatic with 104,000 miles on it. Yesterday when I turned the key to start the car, the digital odometer dimmed and there was no cranking sound at all. There was only a loud click from under the hood The strange thing is, that the digital odometer on the dashboard stays on without the car key in the ignition, while normally it won’t display unless the car key is turned to ON. I disconnected the battery for a while. But the odometer display came back on whenever I reconnected the battery. The headlight and the horn both worked fine. The gear won’t shift even with the car key in any position. The car still uses the original battery. My friend’s battery charger shows that the battery is fully charged. The fuel gauge stays at E position even though the gas tank is pretty full. I just had the transmission rebuilt at a local shop right after the 100,000-mile extended warranty expired. All the forward gears failed at that time. Could that be related to my current problem? Please help…

Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Default RE: Digital odometer stays on without key in ignition

I messed up my previous post. This is a re-post....

I have a 2002 Tribute ES V6 Automatic with 104,000 miles on it. Yesterday when I turned the key to start the car, the digital odometer dimmed and there was no cranking sound at all. There was only a loud click from under the hood.

The strange thing is, that the digital odometer on the dashboard stays on without the car key in the ignition, while normally it won’t display unless the car key is turned to ON. I disconnected the battery for a while. But the odometer display came back on whenever I reconnected the battery. The headlight and the horn both worked fine. The gear won’t shift even with the car key in any position. The car still uses the original battery. My friend’s battery charger shows that the battery is fully charged. The fuel gauge stays at E position even though the gas tank is pretty full.

I just had the transmission rebuilt at a local shop right after the 100,000-mile extended warranty expired. All the forward gears failed at that time. Could that be related to my current problem? Please help…