Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't done the research, but we can only hope they are an improvement over the BadYear's.
How could they be any worse?
I ran some Yoko's back in the day... 509's IIRC, and shaved. They were pretty good track tires for the lightweight car I was running. Better than the BFG's I replaced them with.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 PM

I recently had Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires installed. They are a bit soft compared to a long lasting all season tire. I don't like the idea of having a hard rubber tire... especially after recently having a wreck from losing control of the car as a result of swerving to miss someone. I love these tires!

45,000 mile warranty and they do feel like they're a bit softer and hug the road better than the Toyos that the car came with from the factory. Smooth ride too. I had to swerve around something the other day rather quickly and the car held to the road 100% and the tires performed extremely well.

Bought them at Discount Tire for $560. This includes the lifetime rotate and balance and free replacement certificates. No TPMS rebuild.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM

The Michelins are supposed to be good tires. I was wondering if they feel softer in the corners (turns) than the Eagle RS/A's that came on the car? The RS/As are a lot of things, but soft cornering isn't one of them. Thanks for you response. -Tex

Old 07-28-2009, 03:17 PM

I wish I could tell ya but my car came from the factory with Toyo tires actually.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by cwhard
The Michelins are supposed to be good tires. I was wondering if they feel softer in the corners (turns) than the Eagle RS/A's that came on the car? The RS/As are a lot of things, but soft cornering isn't one of them. Thanks for you response. -Tex
Not exactly apples to apples here, but my car came with Goodyear Eagle RS-As, and they were so terrible that I yanked them after 715 miles and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Funny thing, not only do the Michelins have a sharper steering response, but they're also more predictable and make the car much easier to control. The Goodyears always felt very squirrely and hard to control, even on a straight flat road.

Long story short, the RS-As are easily the worst tire I've ever had on any car I've ever owned.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
Not exactly apples to apples here, but my car came with Goodyear Eagle RS-As, and they were so terrible that I yanked them after 715 miles and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Funny thing, not only do the Michelin's have a sharper steering response, but they're also more predictable and make the car much easier to control. The Good-years always felt very squirrelly and hard to control, even on a straight flat road.

Long story short, the RS-As are easily the worst tire I've ever had on any car I've ever owned.
I don't know about the straight flat road, but I (and my wife) have had three sets of GY's in the past 7-8 yrs: The RS-A's that cam on the Mazda; the Clubs I installed on my wife's Saturn; and Integrity's I had on my old Mitsu Expo/Plymouth Colt Vista van. All were CRAP in one way or another!!!!
Have you ever asked yourselves why in most of the high profile racing series, GY's are the ONLY tire allowed? Of course that does level the field, but how obvious would their downfalls be if the sanctioning body allowed any tire manufacturer to play.
GY pays for that exclusivity so you only see, GY, GY, GY, GY and think that the best choice and why all the teams are using them.
My wife had two of them blow out and disintegrate w/in a year of each other and when they were less than 2 yrs (<20k miles) old.
The Integrity's sent me through red lights more than 4 times when I could not stop. To explain that further, some of the lights around here have a very quick yellow, then go to red. You have to be on your guard. At the time, I blamed that on the suspension and van configuration. Now I know better.
And the RS-A's, well, as a performance and ALL-SEASON tire, they did almost NOTHING well. I asked the GY rep I spoke to how GY EVER got these through as an A/S tire. She did not have an answer, but the one she gave was, "Well, they use them on all the Police cars!!"
I said that I felt sorry for the Police.
End of conversation.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info everyone, will take all the information in and eventually will get around to deciding what goes on the car. Do have to figure out if we are gonna keep it or trade it in first though.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM

I have to give a shout out for my Riken Raptors. They have been awesome and when they are gone I'll replace them in kind.