Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Tire rotation & Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Default Tire rotation & Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Greetings all.
I want to rotate thetires myself, but being new to Mazdas, a few quick questions...

1. Anything I need to watch out for regarding the TPMS?
2. Front to rear (same side)ok? (stock Goodyear RS-A's that sure wear out quickly! Only 9k and the fronts look worn)
3. Torque spec for lug nuts?
4. Recommendation on new tires.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tire rotation & Tire Pressure Monitoring System

1. No, the sensors are inside the tires.
2. I believe the manual says to go front to rear, but I think most people still do front to rear and rear to opposite front
3. No idea.
4. I have yokohama yk520's. $113/tire with a 60k miles treadwear warranty. I have about 22k on them and they barely look worn.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:02 PM

I rotate my own tires, and I've never had a problem.

1. The TPMS is self contained within the valve stem, so rotation won't affect it. If you get your tires changed, have a reputable tire store or your Mazda dealer do it. Make sure you check that the original valve stems are still on the wheels in case the mechanic accidentally threw them away and replaced them with normal valve stems without a sensor. Be sure to tell them you have a TPMS system, don't assume they know.

2. Tires should be rotated front to rear, that's that the manual recommends. I've always rotated mine same side front to rear.

3. Torque specs for lug nuts is 60 to 80. I go with 80 and have never had a problem.

4. You should replace your tires with the same kind/size you already have on your car. It will say on the tire whattype it is, just be sure you purchase the same size no matter how many you are replacing. If you go with too different of a size, you can mess up your car because the computer will think you'regoing a different speed than you really are because of the difference in the rotation (you are traveling a different distance for every tire rotation). It won't do any permanent damage, but will mess up your car's drivability.

My best advice would be to read your manual. If you don't have one, you can purchase one on ebay, or go to Mazda.com and I believe you can download one.

Hope this helps!

Beth

Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 PM

9 times out of 10, we know if you have TPMS
(i work at Canadian tire, btw).
the metal (as opposed to rubber) valve stem is a dead giveaway.

and we torque the wheels to 80 ft./lbs

Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Krameryah

Greetings all.
I want to rotate thetires myself, but being new to Mazdas, a few quick questions...

1. Anything I need to watch out for regarding the TPMS?
2. Front to rear (same side)ok? (stock Goodyear RS-A's that sure wear out quickly! Only 9k and the fronts look worn)
3. Torque spec for lug nuts?
4. Recommendation on new tires.

Thanks!

1. No. It SHOULD take care of itself.
2. That's what I always recommend. And yes, the OE Bad~Years SUCK in many ways, IMO.
3. 90lb.ft. (I always give it a little less to be on the safe side... 85lb.ft.)
4. Depends on your budget and needs. I have run Falkens and (currently) Kumho's on mine and they both have their good side and their bad. f i had the budget, I might look into the Bridgestone RE-01's, or the Pirelli P-Zero Nero's, or BFG's T/A KDW's... but everyone's needs are different.