Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Stainless door sills arrived BUT....Update: Might work now!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Default Stainless door sills arrived BUT....Update: Might work now!

they didn't stick. Here's the two tone sills I bought off of Ebay, they look really good

BUT they didn't stick to the plastic OEM sills. I work in a hosptial so I always have those alchohol prep pads, I used two on each sill, wiped them down really well and let them dry. The stainless sills have the 3M doulbe side tape around the edges but not much in the middle. I peeled the tape and tried to stick the stainless sill down. The drivers side front popped up in about 30 seconds. I don't think the tape is making good enough contact with the plastic sill. The OEM sill has these little ribs in the middle and may not be allowing the tape to make good enough contact around them. Next I'm going to some double sided tape we have at the hospital, I'm going to put it in all the bare areas of the stainless sills and see if that helps. If not, not sure what to do. Send them back to Hong Kong? I may try some adhesive silicone or chaulking, there's some pretty sitcky stuff out there I could use. Pretty disappointed, I have to wait until I go to work tomorrow "to borrow" some double sided tape.
Jim

Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Default RE: Stainless door sills arrived BUT

Damn, that sucks. I bought these too. Let me know what the deal is. I don't want to have to personally fly back to Hong Kong with these and shove these up some ones ****.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: MazdaN00b

Damn, that sucks. I bought these too. Let me know what the deal is. I don't want to have to personally fly back to Hong Kong with these and shove these up some ones ****.
Oh, I'm sure I can get them to work. There's stuff like Liquid Nails and other adhesive caulks that may work really well. Stuff like that would conform and fill in any gap between the two, just want to make sure they never come off if I use something like that. Would look like crap if the stainless sills came off.
Jim

Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Well, I ran up to Ace Hardware and found some more 3M double sided tape, the grey stuff with red backing, only this was 1" wide. The Stainless sills had 1/4" around the edges but I felt it need some in the middle (there is some but two small 1/4" strips) I removed the 1/4" stuff and fill the middle with the 1" tape I bought. I also used Laquer Thinner on the plastic doors sill instead of alchohol this time which I've also done in the past to help this tape stick better. It seem to stick better, not great but alot better. We'll see how long they stay on.
Jim

Old 06-07-2007, 04:24 PM

if the 1.0" think tape doesnt work, id recomend trying a heavy duty/extra strength adhesive spray. that stuff will make anything stick to anything.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Just got mine today. Went and bought me some 3M Plasitc Emblem & Trim Adhesive. Dude said this should work. I guess I'll give it a go. If not I'll try other stuff.
">Name:  Image005.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  Image006.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  48.5 KB">