Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Speed3 at the track yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Default Speed3 at the track yet?

Has anyone had a Speed3 on the track yet (road course, not drag strip)?

My neigbor who has a Boxter S he runs at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) with the Porsche Club was amazed when he drove my MS3 last week. I wanted his qualified remarks about how the car handled. He said the MS3 felt at least as fast as the Boxter S, and gave it up nothing on the brakes, either. But I think what really surprised him was how well the FWD handled. He thought I should be able to outrun plenty of older 911's on the track.

I think I'll try it in the spring!

VASpeed3

Old 11-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Default RE: Speed3 at the track yet?

Me again. I guess it's too early for an owner to have been on a road course. I have noticed something in the handling that someone out there might help me figure out. Some time on a track would probably help pin down the answer. The handfull of occasions I've been anywhere near the margin of traction were on Interstate on-ramps, where you can see what's ahead all the way.

Here's the question: Not surprisingly, more gas in the turn means it goes straighter; lifting tucks the front into the corner. The odd thing is that this happens to a lesser extent, but still noticeably, at speeds nowhere near the margin, and at throttle settings that I would not expect to produce any drift angle on the front tires. My Contour SVT never did anything like this even under pretty heavy throttle. It weighs the same as the Speed3, but it is a bit softer, with smaller anti-roll bars. Maybe that's that answer....

Has anyone noticed it on their own Speed3 or MP3?

Regards,

VAspeed3

Old 03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Default RE: Speed3 at the track yet?

Well, somebody finally did it. He's passing some other cars that are fast and WAY more expensive ON THE TRACK!

There are several videos posted, including a "save" going into a turn. Start withthis link to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96stOIN8ec

VIR, here we come!