Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

sound of a new car and dipstick & etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Default sound of a new car and dipstick & etc

Just passed my 1st week with the Mazda 3, (drove it off from dealer last Friday night with only 8 miles on it), here's a few things I observed relating to sound:

(1) Heard once or twice, the starter makes a harsh, high-pitch, metal coliding sound at the first spin......
(2) Engine is loud at a cold start, louder than my 2000 Mazda MPV, it quites down when rpm drops below 1000 within a min or so......
(3) heard twice a wirling sound coming out of the rear of the car, after a drive, and stoped/parked. I remember seeing a post for this, but reason unknown.
(4) when turning the key from off to on, you'll hear (always) a "wooshing" from rear of the car, sounds like something is being pressurized. I am wondering if (3) and (4) are related, and has something to do with the fuel tank......can someone shed some light on this?

(5) the dipsitck is hard to read if not possible, when it pulled out, the oil/fluid is all over the thing.
(6) does anyone know where the A/C condenser and condenser fan are, I only see the radiator and one cooling fan.
(7) for those of you who wanted to adjust the low-beam headlight, there are two adjusting screws for each light, the upper one is for horizontal (counter-clock wise goes inward, and the other (the lower one) is for vertical (counter clockwise goes up). no adjustment for hi-beam.

(8) like the 16-in alloy wheels, but the braking dust is too much, is the pad too soft? Also, how do they put the balance weights on this type of wheel, glue? And what if the pressure sensor battery runs out? (and how long does the battery last, no info in the owners manual at all).

________
TastyRaissa

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Default RE: sound of a new car and dipstick & etc

Dipstick reading.....pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, put it back into the tube, pull back out and take the reading.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: wineye

Just passed my 1st week with the Mazda 3, (drove it off from dealer last Friday night with only 8 miles on it), here's a few things I observed relating to sound:

(1) Heard once or twice, the starter makes a harsh, high-pitch, metal coliding sound at the first spin......
(2) Engine is loud at a cold start, louder than my 2000 Mazda MPV, it quites down when rpm drops below 1000 within a min or so......
(3) heard twice a wirling sound coming out of the rear of the car, after a drive, and stoped/parked. I remember seeing a post for this, but reason unknown.
(4) when turning the key from off to on, you'll hear (always) a "wooshing" from rear of the car, sounds like something is being pressurized. I am wondering if (3) and (4) are related, and has something to do with the fuel tank......can someone shed some light on this?

(5) the dipsitck is hard to read if not possible, when it pulled out, the oil/fluid is all over the thing.
(6) does anyone know where the A/C condenser and condenser fan are, I only see the radiator and one cooling fan.
(7) for those of you who wanted to adjust the low-beam headlight, there are two adjusting screws for each light, the upper one is for horizontal (counter-clock wise goes inward, and the other (the lower one) is for vertical (counter clockwise goes up). no adjustment for hi-beam.

(8) like the 16-in alloy wheels, but the braking dust is too much, is the pad too soft? Also, how do they put the balance weights on this type of wheel, glue? And what if the pressure sensor battery runs out? (and how long does the battery last, no info in the owners manual at all).
for some reason and i bought my car about probably the same time you did and havent had any of these problems luckily.. except for the braking dust. i myself find this to be annoying. they get all over my 15-in alloys and i am just like ugh cuz its always teh front ones. the back ones barely get any on them

Old 09-17-2007, 11:43 AM

Front brakes account for a much higher % of overall braking force. Weight transfers forward during braking.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

Dipstick reading.....pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, put it back into the tube, pull back out and take the reading.
I know that, the issue is when you pull it out, the oil is all over the tip, and it's hard to find where the oil mark is. I like the straight "stick" a lot better.
________
LIVE SEX

Old 09-17-2007, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

for some reason and i bought my car about probably the same time you did and havent had any of these problems luckily.. except for the braking dust. i myself find this to be annoying. they get all over my 15-in alloys and i am just like ugh cuz its always teh front ones. the back ones barely get any on them
New car sound, items (3) and(4) in my orig. post......I found that in the handbook in the emission control system section. below is a cut-n-paste, it's a sound that's produced by the self-checking valve. Though thehandbook does not say what the function of this valve is. (anybody know? please share.) The "wooshing" sound when key in put in ON is also normal, produced by fuel pump. Anyway, one less thing to worry about. (actually two.) I know I can be paranoid for a new car, I remember doing that in 2000 with the new MPV.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13140/0B25E18819214A2C8B2B3A7044077F6E.gif[/IMG]
________
Wong Amat Beach

Old 09-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

This is just an educated guess, but I'd say fuel system. The purge system, at least the ones I am intimately familiar with, has severalcheck valves that open and close to regulate pressures in and out of the fuel tank. Pressures that are often caused by the cycling of hot to cold, or the sloshing of fuel in the tank causing the fuel to expand and contract. These valves are purely mechanical and do not require any electrical power to operate.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

And BTW: The RR is where most of the fuel system componentsare mounted in the 3. Right near the RR upper control arm.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:48 PM

The dip stick has been up for debate many times. It sucks... my car has 11,000 miles now and the oil is a little brown so its easier to read. when its new forget it.

Some to the sounds you are hearing may be just stuff your not used to from your old car. give it another week or so and see you still notice it.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: eastcoaster

The dip stick has been up for debate many times. It sucks... my car has 11,000 miles now and the oil is a little brown so its easier to read. when its new forget it.

Some to the sounds you are hearing may be just stuff your not used to from your old car. give it another week or so and see you still notice it.
Have you not changed your oil in 11,000 miles?

Quick Reply: sound of a new car and dipstick & etc