Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Reset Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Default Reset Engine Light

Hi all, I'm new to the Forum and understand that this question has probably been asked time and time again - I have a Mazda 3 (love it) and it just turned 10K miles and the engine light came on. I believe it is somehow related to the service intervals - I just had my oil changed at a non-dealership place. Any secrets to turning it off?

Thanks and I look forward to enjoying the forum!

Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Reset Engine Light

all cars built since 1996 have the CEL to indicate an issue with the emissions system....if you should take it to a dealership, and they say that it is a service interval thing, that isnt legal. first, go to autozone, or some other parts store, who will pull codes for free, and have it scanned....

Old 08-25-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanks Patrick - so it seems it needs some attention...

Old 08-25-2005, 10:27 PM

Mazda has not used a maintenance reminder light since the old style MPV and early b-trucks. Any check engine light should be covered under warranty as long as is not a loose fuel cap or you do not have aftermarket intakes, etc installed that might be causing a problem. Check and make sure fuel cap is tight first and then take to dealer and have diagnosed as Patrick noted.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:40 PM

Hi BBHuey - a couple of days ago, the light just 'went off' - I had checked the gas cap etc. and hadn't filled the tank or anything different - it just went away. Then two days ago the 'tire pressure' sensor went off. I stopped and checked all tires ( I had them rotated only last week and air pressure checked at that time) added a pound to each tire for good measure, the light was still on, then the next day it just turned itself off....strange..

thanks for the reply!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM

The tire pressure sensor will also show a warning light if there's too much pressure.

After inflating the tires to the proper pressure the warning light will not go out until you drive the car a short distance.

I learn something new every day.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:42 PM

The place you took the car to should have reset the car to re-read the TPS sensors at there new location. Some however have an automated system so that when you rotate it picks up on it after awhile and resets its self. not sure if the mazdas with TPS do but sounds like it.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Don H
The tire pressure sensor will also show a warning light if there's too much pressure.

After inflating the tires to the proper pressure the warning light will not go out until you drive the car a short distance.

I learn something new every day.
Correction if I may, the tire pressure light will go off it one or more (other than four) of the tires are a different pressure than the rest of them.

Some people prefer to set their tires at a different pressure than the car makers recomendations, like it they prefer the tire makers pressure better.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

If the light went off by itself then don't worry about it. Perhaps just some intermittent thing, or maybe the gas cap was a little loose. Like others said if your CEL does come on again just take the car to an auto parts store as most all of them will read the codes for free. That way you have some idea of what's causing the issue and where to look to fix it. The codes can be reset via the scanner they use. Alternately you can disconnect the battery to reset the ECU itself. For a temporary problem this will work, but for something persistent you'll still need to fix the problem or the code will come back up.