Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Removing factory Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Default RE: Removing factory Air Intake?

ORIGINAL: capernicus

I installed it and it added a good bit of horses. What is Ghetto rigging? Im not from the Ghetoo. Ghetoo Rigging to me would inply that I add big 20 inch rims. A midget to bang on the trunk to make it rattle and have alot of black people ride in it. I wont be doin any of that....Its not my style.
Ghetto rigging is where say for instance you want a sound system but instead of saving up for it you take house speakers and hook them up, for youre so called bass, and you dont have to be from the ghetto to know this just know a few black people (yes im black), be lazy or be cheap, and for youre defintion of ghetto rigging you for got to add, a sound system so loud you lose youre breath, 26in. chrome rims with spinners all in a white or black Escalde.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:01 PM

in regards to the factory intake, has anyone taken off the stock airbox and installed a cone filter in its place, on the end of the stock hose going to the manifold. here is a link to a new product that K&N has http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 AM

That K&N is for an intake setup. You cant just take off the factory air filter and put this on. I know cause I tried it. The absolute BEST thing to do (Dont do it half *** or ****a rig it) is to take out the whole dam factory setup. What you will have left it is a big void in the left side of your engine compartment where everything was at. Someone said earlier The small vents in the left front fender is not the only air supply for the intake. The plastic mesh grill on the front bumper has an airway that leads to the intake as well. You are not looking at the system correctly. There is only ONE way for the air to get inside your engine. And that is from the air guide which is located all the way up and inside the left front wheel well. When you take it out you will see what I am saying. It looks like a big spiral horn that attaches to the botttom of the air filter intake. Again, if you decide to spend some $$$ on a new intake do it right and take out everything. I got a short ram intake which is the Secret R. It is only a few inches long and doesnt take up much space. The AEM and other cold air intakes bend down and into the engine compartment where the air guide was located. So there is no way you can even attempt to install a new instake unless you take out the air guide. As for water getting into the engine it wont happen. You would have to drive throw 2 feet of water. As for my intake Id have to drive through 3 feet cause my intake isnt long and bent into the wheel well like the AEM is. Here is what My intack look like

Old 03-15-2006, 10:37 AM

I took off my factory air filter, and replaced it with a Autozone brand one, and the only problem is that one my air sensor is held in by duct tape and it keeps knocking against my battery box thats all, but it has increased my hp by 4 maybe 5 and improved gas milage by 5.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:22 PM

ok ok ok,..ONE: You will NOT suck up water when it rains by adding a Cold Air Intake...only if you go forging arcoss a river.
TWO: The factory air intake on a Mazda 3 is a BIT@# to remove,...i'm very mechanically inclined, and it still took me like 45 minutes to remove it...oh and about 5 minutes to put the new AEM cold air intake on. Can't honestly say i picked up horse power,..i know i did tho...but my "seat-of-the-pants-dyno" didn't really say alot. All in all i really like the system tho, and i'm glad i bought it. Better flow,..is still better flow.

hmmm,..what else. I love my car. aannndddd...

i love you guys!!! j/k

Old 03-15-2006, 04:26 PM

Tracker, when you say you took off your factory air filter and replaced it with an Autozone brand, what exactly do you mean? Did you just replace the filter, or did you remove the air box assembly all together and buy a new one from Autozone. And why is you air sensor being held in place by duct tape, it has to have a place to be plugged into, on the stock setup, it is on the air box, without your car will either run rich, or just plain terrible and will throw check engine codes at you. That would definitely be a void in the warranty for that system, On our car, we cannot just pull the air box and put on a cone filter, it will not work, because of that plug and the place it is. if you are going to go with a CAI or short-ram intake, do it right, or not at all. or you can just buy the K&N filter to replace stock, that will give you an extra 2-3hp and improved throttle response/gas mileage. Also, in case none of you knew this, the stock filter in the car is reusable, it can be cleaned with compressed air. that is per Mazda owners manual. Capernicus has the right setup, and looks like it is an actual kit, not just a cone filter. Be smart about this people.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:49 PM

I really dont want to say cuz it makes me seem stupid and like i dont care for my car, but if you want to know what i did just tell me and ill post it public

Old 03-15-2006, 10:04 PM

i think we all want to know why your air sensor is being held in place with dust tape. Seriously, if you take the car to the dealership for something under warranty, and they see that, they could tell you to come back when its fixed, or make you pay for fixing it. It is not really taking care of your engine.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 PM

Well its still under warrenty and when i took it to the dealership they looked under the hood and checked everything, they saw it and chuckled a little, they took it for a test run to see if had caused any major or minor damages, and the only thing that came up was a the check engine light was on because of the way the air sensor was postioned and a knocking sound from the Autozone airfilter other than that my car runs the same just a little fast and a cool rumble sound.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:49 PM

Oh and the reason why my air sensor is held in place with duct tape is because since i dont have a pipe to put the sensor in, there was rubber piece that came with the filter and so i cut a hole in it to put the sensor in and held it down with duct tape.

Quick Reply: Removing factory Air Intake?