Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Removing factory Air Intake? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/removing-factory-air-intake-1039/)

capernicus 09-05-2005 03:47 AM

Removing factory Air Intake?

Can someone send a pic or describe how to remove the factory intake? Im getting a Weapon R secret intake and wont to save on $$$ by installing it myself.

Lupae3s 09-05-2005 07:07 AM

RE: Removing factory Air Intake?

directions will come with the intake for installation...ghetto rigging the 3 i see...

capernicus 09-28-2005 05:43 PM

I installed it and it added a good bit of horses. What is Ghetto rigging? Im not from the Ghetoo. Ghetoo Rigging to me would inply that I add big 20 inch rims. A midget to bang on the trunk to make it rattle and have alot of black people ride in it. I wont be doin any of that....Its not my style.

Patrick 09-28-2005 07:04 PM

there is very little effort invovled in removing a factory air intake..some clamps, maybe some brackets, and a few hoses.

capernicus 09-29-2005 02:20 AM

Incorrect. I removed the entire intake myself last night. Its not nearly as easy as you say. The easy part is the air filter container which holds the air filter. The ugly, hard to deal with part is the air guide which is attached to the bottom half of the intake and ports the intake to the left side of the front fender. The air guide is huge. It takes up the entire left front area in front of the driver side wheel. If you are thinking about installing an new intake then you should take out this air guide also cause if not you wont get all the air you need to the new intake. The air guide blocks the entire air way to the outside fender. Look at the inside of the left front front. See some small vents in the plastic? That is where the air is coming in to feed your factory intake. Not much is it. Now take a huge piece of plastic which is the air guide and picture that air guide in front of the only air supply you have! Can you see my reason for removing the air guide? After removing it you will have so much air coming into the new intake it will be like an AC!

PreKrime 10-17-2005 05:31 PM

I hope it don't rain where you live! ;)

BIGDOG 10-28-2005 06:59 PM

You may or may not know this, so I'll give ya my two cents. I'd suggest a bypass valve, or you'll be sucking water if it does rain. If you don't have one, AEM's is great, and since you purchased a Weapon R, if the intake is not sectioned, you can cut the tube and clamp the bypass right in. Before you purchase one, you'll need to know the diameter of your intake, they have two sizes. If you do cut the tube, try make your cut within 12 inches of the throttle body as possible, depending on what's in the way. I plan on doing this mod to my 2006 M3 hatch, but as far as I know, AEM hasn't got approval on their CARB exemption for the 2005 M3 CAI. Living in Cali, I need the CARB exempt, so I don't have to swap it out every time I come up for smog.

Lupae3s 10-29-2005 05:30 PM

ive had my aem cold air intake on for over a year now and ive had no reason to purchase a bypass valve. rain wont get sucked up into the system. the only way water will be a threat is if you take your car in a DEEP puddle and completely submerge the cone filter. otherwise there is really no reason to get the bypass valve unless you are looking to go boating in your car.

SISKANDE 02-11-2006 01:44 PM

I just bought a AEM cold air for my 6 but on the box it says "Not to be used with a bypass valve".....Why's that?? I'm a little worried since this is still my everyday car and I haven't garaged it yet. I don't see why it would hurt to put one on or why AEM doesn't want you too.

Help!! saiskander@hotmail.com

Lupae3s 02-11-2006 05:28 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: capernicus

Look at the inside of the left front front. See some small vents in the plastic? That is where the air is coming in to feed your factory intake. Not much is it. Now take a huge piece of plastic which is the air guide and picture that air guide in front of the only air supply you have! Can you see my reason for removing the air guide?

The small vents in the left front fender is not the only air supply for the intake. The plastic mesh grill on the front bumper has an airway that leads to the intake as well.