Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Rear Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Rear Bulbs

ORIGINAL: virgin1

I put in LED bulbs and a third high-mounted brake light LED assembly and had problems with leakage that affected the turn signals and cruise control.
I had the bulbs in first and didn"t have any problems until I went all LED.
An 8 ohm, 25w resister across the wires (+ & -)to the third brake light and stashed

up inside the hatch trim solved that problem. Here"s how it looks w/the trim off.

For the turn signals, you will definately need to ballast them. Again I used some 6 ohm, 25 watt resister soldered in and jumped across the terminals for each side.
Problem solved. Sorry, but no pictures of that install. I just wanted to get it done.
The hardest part was finding a place to mount them where they would be safe and out of the way.
Richard, I thought I would let you know that when I did the LED 3rd brake light I didn't have to throw a resistor in with it. I don't have the problem with the turn signals and the cruise control. I'm thinking maybe you have an overly-sensitive brake pedal.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 04Mazda3Sport
Richard, I thought I would let you know that when I did the LED 3rd brake light I didn't have to throw a resistor in with it. I don't have the problem with the turn signals and the cruise control. I'm thinking maybe you have an overly-sensitive brake pedal.
You should only have to ballast the running/brake light circuit if all the bulbs in the system are LED.
Here"s what happened to me: I only had to do it because I was also running LED running/brake light bulbs as well as the third too. When just running the tail bulbs no problem. With all of thoseLEDsthere was no resistance in the system and so it was trying to find ground through the turn signal circuit.
When I used a turn signal, the third light would flash too, but not at full brightness. If the cruise was on when I flicked the turns signal on, it would kick out, as if I had just tapped the brake pedal.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:28 AM

I forgot about the part about LED's all the way around (minus the repeaters), which is what I had done. Even with the parkers with LED's, I still had no problem whatsoever. Only thing I guess you could call a problem would be the fact that the LED's I bought from Superbrightleds, were so freaking dim that even with my former low beams, before the HID's, you couldn't even see them.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Which LEDs did you get from Superbrightleds? There website says only the 3 and 5 watt bulbs are/may be brighter.
Right now all I want to do are my rear bulbs so they are brighter. People here seem to see a turn signal and assume it means you are telling them that lane is clear for them to speed up (not for you to get over). So with that, I shouldn't need the load resistor? Thank you for all your help.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 PM

You are correct about the rear brake lights. No resistor is needed for them, unless the rare case (assuming Richards' case is rare) is what you encounter. That would only be if you are runnig them all the way around. Since the brake lights don't flash, you won't need any resistors for them. All of my rear bulbs are LED's, with the exception of my reverse lights.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:13 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention to get WHITE LED's for your turn and brake lights. I decided to get amber and red ones for their respective uses and you can see them, but they're not as bright as they should be. So in other words, if you have the colored lenses, get white LED's. As for what kind they were, I dn't remember anymore lol, but if you would like I will just give them to you so you can see if you like them. All you have to pay is shipping. I'm probably never going to use them again, so I would be happy to give them to you. If your you want them, just PM me, or give me a call.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Cool. I'll give you a buzz. At around $10 a bulb, it adds up fast to replace all of them just to see IF they are any better. I have clear bulbs for reverse and tail/brake lights. I have amber bulbs for turns. So, I'm assuming that's what I need to replace them with.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:14 PM

I am Actually putting red 7440 bulbs in the rear turns, no more Amber [8D]

Old 12-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

I will warn you again that white LEDs will make your colored lenses look weird.
Get thered/amber LEDs to match their intended use for best color. Get the high output ones for greater lumen's, but they won"t be cheap either.
You get what you pay for in this world.