Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Question about Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Default Question about Mazda 3

Hi, I am new to this site and just have a question. I have a 2011 Mazda3 2.5L Hatchback. And I am thinking about getting a turbo installed for it. And I was just wondering about what brands of turbo would be best, and also about how much the turbo and labor would run me. Just looking for suggestions and insight, so anything will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Automatic or manual transmission?

Edit: Your question about the cost for labor just sunk in; if you're not planning on doing the work yourself then you're probably going to be much better off if you simply sell your car and buy a 2011 MazdaSpeed3. Not only will the switch probably cost you less than buying a turbocharger setup and paying someone to put it in, but a used MS3 will hold its resale value way-WAY better than your car with an added turbo (the resale value of your car will plummet the instant that turbocharger is added).

Last edited by shipo; 03-24-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 PM

For once I actually agree with Ship on this one...Last time I checked I don't even know if they make a turbo for the new 2.5L. They make them for the 2.0L or 2.3L. If you have an Automatic, Hang it up, Mazda transmissions are like glass. You could maybe run 5psi safely on that transmission but I can almost promise you if you drive it hard you'll burn the TQ converter or your front differential will turn the dust at about 80,000 miles if not sooner.

Tripoint makes a turbo kit and I *think* Hiboost does, (if they are even still around) for around $3-$4K but everything is plug in play. Even the stand alone is already tuned for you at like 7 or 8 psi. Performance shops to have it installed for you will charge between $1k-3K$ depend on their labor rates. I know the shop I go said they'd do it for $2K. So you are looking between $4k-$7k total product and job cost. That's without touching the tranny. If you have an auto, a beefed up TQ converter and front differential are a must. The only people I know that make such things are Cosworth for a nice price of roughly $3k...Cosworth, you might know, is no stranger to high performance/forced induction. Therefore you are getting quality parts. You get what you pay for. Now you are looking at $7k-$10k for boosting and beefing up the tranny....reliably...For that cost you are looking at 30% of the cost of a speed 3. Even more if its used.

Contrary to what ship believes simple bolt on's will work just fine for your car. Pulleys, I/E/H, throttle controllers will make a world of difference compared to stock. Pair all that with a Split Second A/F controller, tuned *key word there* and I've seen people with 2.0's and 2.3's consistently hit 25-35HP over stock.... Sock 2.0's have 150Hp...In fact last weekend I saw a guy who hit 180HP on the 2.0 auto with simple bolt on's and tuned.