Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

powertrain vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Default powertrain vibrations

recently since it has been below 40 degrees in pa the past few weeks, ive noticed that the engine in my 07 has been getting more jumpy. Im noticing more vibration when im at a stop and the car is idling. Ive also noticed a whining sound coming from inside the engine compartiment but my dealer assured me that was the fuel pump that the 07/08 have new. I've also heard that the engine mounts in the 3's tend to go bad. Anyone have any help on this one? am i being to **** about my car or could there be an actual problem?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Default RE: powertrain vibrations

no ideas?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM

I have a 07 i-touring sedan, but am experiening the opposite in terms of idle roughness.
The first few months when it's cold, I did notice the rougher idle (I garage the car), but since a few weeks ago, the idle roughness has come down quite a bit. (Temp is around 20 deg-F.) Usually I'd feel it thru the brake pedal, it does not do that anymore (for now). I have totally random gas sources. If your vibration is constant and repeatable, you might want to bring it back to your dealer to have a check on transmission. One thought: does the vibe reduce from D to N?

The whining sound is from electric power steering pump. The fuel pump is co-located with the gas tank in the rear, you can hear a woosh when you first turn the ignition to ON.

Don't know about the engine mount, from what I read, it's only for the speed3. there was a recall for it.
________
Bongs

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

It might be the dreaded winter-time mix gasoline. Try a different brand to see if that helps.
I had a car once that no matter what grade I used, the car ran like crap on Exxon fuels. I stayed away from Exxon and no more problems.

Also, if you live around the St. Louis/Missouri area, I have read that they are intentionally, and bylaw,putting 10% ethanol in all gas mixes, but are not required to list that on the pump. That could affect smoothness also. But frankly, these are not the smoothest running/starting cars in the first place. Mine is usually a bit rough running and "kicks" upon start-up!! Worse since installingthe AWR 70D rear mount.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:10 AM

do u think it would help if i used 93 octane for the winter? i have used 89 almost exclusively since purchasing the vehicle and only recently has the engine been getting a lil rough. Also the car now has almost 12k miles on it. Do u think it would be worth driving it to the dealer just to make sure, my dealer is about 30 miles away from my house tho lol i realy dont wanna hear a yes

Old 01-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Nah. No need to run 93 or even 89. I find that even w/the advanced timing modI get just as much power and better mileage running 87. 93 (higher octane) fuels burn slower for a more aggressive compression ratio and ignition timing. The higher the octane rating, the slower it burns. Since the car is designed to run on lower octane fuel you would simply be wasting unburned fuel down the exhaust pipe. That might also do long term damage to the cat and will certainly increase emissions output.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 PM

so by using 89 im actually doing damage to my car? i have refilled almost exclusiviely with 89 if i switch over to 87 will i end up having any negative effects? will this reduce the vibrations i am feeling during idle?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea if that will solve our rough running problem, really, but you are probably wasting money on octane the car cannot use.
From 87 > 89? Nah, probably not too much. In theory it could eventually affect the life of the cat by reducing it's effectiveness and clogging it up, but besides that whypay the extra ~.20/gal when the car is not using it?
If the manual says the car is designed to run on 67, and you do not have any mondo mods; seriously increased timing or compression, massive/radical camshafts or camshaft timing,run 87 and pocket the difference!!
Besides, think of it this way: The difference in octane between 87 and 89 is two points, right? The cost difference is roughly 20 cents/gal. Now, here's the rub, the difference in octane between 87 and 93 is six points. Buuutttt, the difference in cost is ~.40/gal. An additional two octane points for free!!
What I was doing after the Advanced Timing Mod, was mixing 1-2 gals of 93, w/9-10 gals of 87 just to boost the oct a little bit. Not exact science but I didn't have any problems and I didn't spend the extra $$$ to fill up with straight 89 either. That's exactly how it's done at the gas station too. There is no 89 oct tank. It's mixed at the pump using their premium (91-93 oct usually) and their regular 87. I read somewhere where the mix is usually 66% 87 and 33% 93, or 2/3rds/1/3rdto get 89 octane fuel.
And you know what? It was all for nothing, cause even w/advanced ignition timing I get better mileage and no noticeable loss of power using straight 87. It's still safely within the knock sensor's range.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:32 AM

thank you for your help virgin, but im gonna go to the dealer soon anyways just to make sure. I just convinced my mother to purchase a mazda6 as her new car so we gotta go up there anywyas

Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

No sweat npoll. I hope it helps in the long run.