Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Possible to remove or delete the clutch delay valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:32 AM
Question Possible to remove or delete the clutch delay valve?

Hi All, first post:

Background: I have issues with my manual 2014 SP25GT. Since I drove it off the lot, it's had this horrible 'gap' in when the clutch reacts to being let out. More often than not, this results in jerky/rough changes no matter how carefully I drive, because the clutch catch point seems to keep moving, or change in feel. It's worse in the lower gear changes, and from stationary. It enrages me on a daily basis as I normally LOVE driving, but this is an absolute nightmare. I've taken it to Mazda more than 20 times over the years and they eventually replaced the entire clutch assembly (including flywheel), but it made no difference and they insist it's behaving normally. I've driven others of the same car and they felt WAY better. Long story short, I've given up on Mazda helping and the car's now out of warranty anyway.

A very knowledgeable friend who works at a Euro performance shop drove it and within seconds of driving the car said he thinks the problem is the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV). He said it's meant to prolong the life of the clutch and smooth out gear changes for people who can't drive manual well, but for some cars it makes it feel worse. He said it's a common mod in Volkswagen cars for the valve to be disabled by simply unscrewing it and repressurising/draining the clutch cylinders again. I've seen guides for doing it to other cars (BMW) but none for Mazdas.

Question: Has anyone removed the Clutch Delay Valve on a current model Mazda 3? Or have ideas how it can be done? I'm VERY keen to give it a try. Thanks for any help in advance!
Ben

Old 01-05-2018, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Never heard of a Clutch Delay Valve.

Where abouts is it on your car?

Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve

Mechanically, it's located between the clutch master and slave cylinders, but physically I don't know where it is in the Mazda 3. I imagine somewhere close to the firewall with the main and slave.
Here's an example guide for removing the CDV from a Golf. I'd love to find the same thing but for a 2014 Mazda 3 and have my friend remove it.

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manu...valve-removal/

For me, the mod it's to make the vehicle feel like a 'race car', like it is for most, it's just to restore some semblance of enjoyment to this 4 wheeled contraption. I love driving, but not this thing - it feels like a jalopy!

Old 01-09-2018, 06:51 AM

Hmmm, I have a CDV on my Acura and experience the latency in engagement all of the time, but if my wife's Mazda3 s GT has a CDV, I surely cannot feel it.