Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

MAF wire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Default MAF wire replacement

hello everyone,

im new to this so go easy plz. ok so i have an 05 mazda 3 hatchback and one of the wires connected to the MAF split off right at the tip of the MAF. should i get the part at the junk yard or pay way to much money????? i need help

oh and i have an after market CAI on it fujita

Old 08-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

This seems to be a common problem w/those running the Fujitsu intakes. They have the MAF in the wrong place and w/o freeing up the harness, snap off wires.
If your harness has already been released from the tether on the battery box, and you can find a junkyard that will sell you just the plug w/extra wiring, that's the route I would go. I WOULD NOT recommend using crimp connectors to install the new harness.
How are your soldering skills? Do you have heat shrink tubing on-hand?

Short of that, it sounds like a trip to the dealer or a good automotive electrical shop is in order. They should know how to get the pin out of the plug and replace/repair it.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Actually this is a common problem with any aftermarket intake, i have AEM and i went ahead and replaced the maf along with wires, got it from an protege, as you know the dealer will not cover this under warranty and may in-fact void it.

Check ebay or rockauto for a cheaper replacement MAF

Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 PM

I was replacing the maf and the wire broke rite at the end of the maf. So I went to the junk yard to find a wire but no success. Is there any place I can buy a wire online?? The harness is fine it's just the white wire with two red stripes on it is what I need

Also I want to replace my cai so this does not happen again any recommend a certain one?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Recommendations sorry

Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM

just go to a drop in, nothing of gain but noise from the others

Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Just extend the wires to the MAF!!! Or if you haven't already, release the entire harness from the clip holding it to the battery box.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:33 PM

What do u mean just drop in?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

He means a drop-in filter element, such as a K&N "panel" filter to replace the OE paper filter. However, after trying this myself before I had my CAI, I believe this to be a waste of money.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 PM

all intakes are a waste of money, nothing is gained but unused potential, now if you had a tuner to go along with it that would be another story

Quick Reply: MAF wire replacement