Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

PLEASE HELP transmission or clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Default PLEASE HELP transmission or clutch issue

Hello, I have a 2010 2.5 liter Mazda 3. About 2 months ago it started grinding to go into 2nd and to downshift into 2nd gear. Only second gear. Due to this we diagnosed this problem as a bad Synchro and replaced the transmission (with a used 40k) and new flywheel pressure plate and clutch. In less than 12 hours the replacement transmission was grinding to downshift into first. It would also not shift into first without trying multiple times. So now the 3rd transmission is a rebuilt transmission currently in the vehicle. The rebuilt has only been in the car for a month. Recently there is a grinding noise when putting a vehicle into second gear. I have heard the grinding noise happen less than 10 times in the entire month. It always goes into gear but sometimes it makes the unsettling noise in the process. It also has only done this in second gear. I find this to be very unsettling and I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm pretty sure this is a hydraulic clutch. And my fluid level looks fine. I would really appreciate any help I can get. This is getting to be very stressful. Thank you

Last edited by Veronica Graves; 05-30-2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Missed important info
Old 06-01-2018, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried adjusting the shift cables? Do you ever downshift into 1st gear while still moving?

Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Have you tried adjusting the shift cables? Do you ever downshift into 1st gear while still moving?
yes I definitely do downshift. The shift cables have not been looked at

Old 06-04-2018, 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=Veronica Graves;168129]yes I definitely do downshift. The shift cables have not been looked at. Maybe we should try that. I'm running out of ideas :-(

Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 PM

Have the bushings and linkage between the shifter and transmission inspected. Play or looseness in these will prevent full actuation of the shift fork in the transmission and will sound like a bad synchro when actually you aren't moving the shift fork enough and the gear ring is not being moved far enough. A Grind noise will be the result, but as it gets worse you will not be able to shift in 2nd anymore.

Based on the 2nd being the only problem noted, it sound like only one cable is bad and the connection is worn out in only one direction.

This problem should be obvious to anyone you take it to for repair.

Good luck,
RGAZ