Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

!!Please help!!! Advice needed!!!

Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Default !!Please help!!! Advice needed!!!

I just joined the group and I am hoping someone can help.i just purchased a 2001 Mazda protege mp3. I paid 400 for it and it was burning oil with a misfire but still running enough to move. I started a couple of times but didn't move it. I recently Went to start it and it won't fire up. It turns over and almost starts but no. I can see some gasket looking material squished out the seam where the valve cover meets the block, ( I think) I have the general ability to fix this I just don't know where to start , what it is, or how to figure out the next steps to take. I want at the very least to get my money back. Ideally I'd like to fix it and make it my project car. I just can't afford to dump a bunch of money into making it drivable. I would appreciate any wisdom shared.
Alex

Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Alex Patrick Issa
I just joined the group and I am hoping someone can help.i just purchased a 2001 Mazda protege mp3. I paid 400 for it and it was burning oil with a misfire but still running enough to move. I started a couple of times but didn't move it. I recently Went to start it and it won't fire up. It turns over and almost starts but no. I can see some gasket looking material squished out the seam where the valve cover meets the block, ( I think) I have the general ability to fix this I just don't know where to start , what it is, or how to figure out the next steps to take. I want at the very least to get my money back. Ideally I'd like to fix it and make it my project car. I just can't afford to dump a bunch of money into making it drivable. I would appreciate any wisdom shared.
Alex
A few comments:
  • Issues like this are very difficult to diagnose over the internet.
  • Sounds like the engine has numerous issues which will require the replacement of the engine or a rebuild. Neither option is terribly cheap.
  • As with much else in life, often the cheapest cars turn out to be the most expensive to own.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:07 PM

You want to fix it but don't know where to start.... That is what you said right.
Well, you know you have ignition and oil control problems. Those usually just get worse not better, but it sounds like you just want to play with the car a bit and not make it dependable. So lets do some simple stuff:

Pull the spark plugs and examine them. Use your repair manual to determine which cylinder (or multiple) is causing the problem. A misfire and excessive oil burning will be obvious.

Next put fresh plugs back in, they are cheap and if you have been burning oil they are fouled, and guess what the O2 sensor and cat is probably also fouled, so things aren't going to get better from here.

After that it pretty much up to you what you want to tackle next: Oil burning or misfire. Both could be related or they may not be. As Shipo said, diagnostic over the internet is not easy, especially for a newbie.

Reply if you want to try more...

Side note: The squishy looking material you see between the valve cover and block is normal. When vale cover gaskets are replaced (usually due to leaking oil) a small amount of gasket maker (usually grey) is used to seal the odd corners and areas. It has nothing to do with your problem but is an indicator that the car has the valve cover removed in the past and may have been leaking oil.

RGAZ