Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Passenger Window not rolling up

Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 AM
Default Passenger Window not rolling up

Good morning, I'm in a little bit of a bind and I'm hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have minimal experience but I can watch a youtube video like nobodies business. So I thought I would come here and see if anyone can point me in a better direction or explain what I need to do. Or just any kind of help would be better than where I'm at now.

I have a 2010 mazda 3 2.5 hatchback. On Sunday we were driving home and my dog had her head out the window, I was trying to roll it up but I think she may have trigger the safety mechanism. But it never reengaged. I'm not 100% sure that is what happened but it seems the most likely situation as it was working fine before she tried to force herself into the window.

I took it to a mechanic and they told me 250$ just to get the panel off so I left and went home and took the panel off. When I press the switch down, I can hear the motor engage. So my window will roll down, but when I press up, it doesn't engage or make any noise. So I don't think that its the switch, so that leaves me with either a motor failure or a regulator failure, right? I have done the banging on the door, slamming it and holding the window up button. None of it is working.

So I guess my question is where do I go from here to narrow down the issue? How do I know if its the regulator or motor? What can I do to tell if its just off its track? I am about at the end of my knowledge. Do I take the metal panel off and look at the actual window area? Do I take the motor off and check it? What am I looking for?

If I didn't clarify enough, I would be happy to do so, I would just really like some help. I will take it to a repair shop if I have to but my dog has cancer so money is a wee bit tight at the moment and I'd prefer to do this myself. Plus its good experience.

Thank you so much!!!

Old 03-27-2019, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

99% chance it is not the motor or regulator at fault, if it winds the window down fine.

Swap the switch over to another door & see what happens, it will either be a faulty door window switch or faulty drivers master window switch.