Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

options ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Default options ??

i just got the 2012 mazda 3 hatchback , what would be the best intake to put on ?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 PM

Stock, absolutely STOCK. CAIs, pods, MAFs, they all do diddly on a stock engine, at best you keep some horses at worst you lose some and may even violate some laws depending on where you live. A stock airbox will outperform almost every aftermarket intake when the filter is clean as it should be.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Banned
Lightbulb Shades of Shipo

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Stock, absolutely STOCK. CAIs, pods, MAFs, they all do diddly on a stock engine, at best you keep some horses at worst you lose some and may even violate some laws depending on where you live. A stock airbox will outperform almost every aftermarket intake when the filter is clean as it should be.
A CAI is prone to water intake from driving thru puddles and car washes. A deflector shield must be installed in front of the tires. You must be sure there will be enough air flow as well, by checking air route from front of car, you may have to drill some holes by fog lights. Getting at colder air is better. In the winter time this must be removed.

SRI: short is good however you will be sucking in hot air from behind the rad as the rad fans will push this hot air in to your intake. This hotter air than stock will cause loss of power until your revs are hi. For this to work properly you must isolate the air from the hot rad air by making baffles all the way up to the hood, a water deflector is also good. You must be sure there will be enough air flow as well, by checking air route from front of car, you may have to drill some holes by fog lights. Getting at colder air is better. This can be kept over winter by putting extra air filter scren over it that comes with it, or bought for it.

I did this on my Mazda 6 and it works great! The pic shown is before i had to put water deflector as you can see openings under filter ahead of tires.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 10-17-2012 at 08:13 AM.